Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour today (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Timeout when running dotnet-episerver update-database

Vote:

I'm trying to upgrade our CMS from version 11 to version 12. After about a week of struggling I finally got our solution to build without compilation errors (albeit still with a gazillion warnings). Now I'm trying to upgrade the database using dotnet-episerver update-database. Unfortunately it keeps failing when "Running script 12.10.0.sql" with the following error: "Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. Operation cancelled by user.". Is there a way to increase the timeout setting used by dotnet-episerver update-database?

Jan 13, 2023 10:12
andvik - Jan 13, 2023 11:50
Hmm... I think I found the SQL files used by the tool under nuget\packages\episerver.cms.core\12.11.0\tools\epiupdates\sql. I executed 12.10.0.sql and 12.11.0.sql manually from SSMS. I got a lot of errors so maybe I've messed up the database now? Anyhow, I will try to see if I can get the app up and running after this...
Vote:

You don\t have to use the dotnet-episerver tool. The database schema is upgraded automatically once you run the application. But now you have probably ended up in a bad state. if you revert your database and then just run the application it should work.

Jan 13, 2023 13:51
Vote:

Tack Johan! I did what you suggested and I think that I might have passed the database upgrade step. I'm now stuck on "Initialize action failed for Initialize on class EPiServer.Initialization.Internal.ModelSyncInitialization". Is that a different story or do you think its an indication of something still being wrong with the database?

Edited, Jan 16, 2023 12:36
andvik - Jan 17, 2023 7:58
I think I know whats wrong. It seems one of the plugins that we are using is causing this issue. There is an upgrade of this DAM plugin, but content properties from the old version isn't compatible with the new version (or rather, there is no conversion between them). :/
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.