Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Gzip / Brotli not applied as expected

Vote:

After upgrading a client's solution to Optimizely 12 we are trying to apply brotli / gzip compression to api calls on the site, search for instance.

In my startup.cs I've applied the following:

... in ConfigureServices:

...and in Configure:

But when checking the Response Headers for a search api call made, it show nothing about compression whatsoever for Response:

Is there something more I need to do in order for it to be applied?

Edited, Mar 24, 2023 12:39
Vote:

You must enable https 

services.AddResponseCompression(options =>
{
    options.Providers.Add<BrotliCompressionProvider>();
    options.Providers.Add<GzipCompressionProvider>();
    options.MimeTypes = ResponseCompressionDefaults.MimeTypes.Concat(new[] { "application/json" });
    options.EnableForHttps = true; // πŸ‘ˆπŸ»πŸ‘ˆπŸ»πŸ‘ˆπŸ»πŸ‘ˆπŸ»
});
Mar 24, 2023 12:52
Vote:

I've added this now. However I still get the same result after restarting the site numerous times to make sure it was applied.

This is one of the calls that I expect to have the compression, are there any issues here?

Edited, Mar 24, 2023 14:05
Vote:

What mimetype does that API respond with?

Mar 24, 2023 18:44
Vote:

Hi sebp

Can you confirm that UseResponseCompression is among the first lines of the Configure method? It has to come before any middleware that can produce a response, because the response is streamed back through a chain of middleware.

PS. "application/json" is already included in the default list. So that is not needed in your configuration.

Mar 24, 2023 19:11
sebp - Mar 27, 2023 7:31
Thank you Stefan, this was indeed the problem. I tried moving it further up the Configure-method, and that did the trick. I also tried removing the application/json-specification as you suggested and it seems to be working fine without that as well.

Cheers!
This topic was created over sixΒ months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.