Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

CMS js and css problems (epiJQuery & CMS.css) Renders CMS unusable



We're in the middle of an upgrade of a reasonably large site to EPiServer 7 from EPiServer 6 and we are getting errors in the CMS.

Edit mode errors:

Uncaught ReferenceError: epiJQuery is not defined editmodeshellintegration.js:20
Uncaught ReferenceError: epi is not defined
Uncaught ReferenceError: epiJQuery is not defined edit.js:107
GET 500 (Internal Server Error) /episerver/cms/Edit/EditPanel.aspx?:1
GET 404 (Not Found) EditCommand.aspx:11
Uncaught ReferenceError: $ is not defined EditCommand.aspx:314
Uncaught ReferenceError: $ is not defined ActionWindowFrame.aspx:14
GET 404 (Not Found) EditTree.aspx:11
GET 404 (Not Found) ActionWindow.aspx:11

Admin mode errors:

Uncaught ReferenceError: epi is not defined
GET 404 (Not Found) Menu.aspx:11
Uncaught ReferenceError: $ is not defined Menu.aspx:80
GET 404 (Not Found) SiteInfo.aspx:11

I have checked the VPP folder and the files appear to exist in the Modules folder (I found another older post where someone with the same symptoms simply didn't have a Modules folder in their VPP directory), for example the following file and directory exists -


Do you have any suggestions on things I can try to resolve this?


Jun 17, 2013 17:02


Your links to the client resources looks really strange. It should be something like:


This could indicate that you have errors after the upgrade of your config files. I suggest that you install a clean reference site and start the cumbersome task of comparing all config files section for section. Especially the parts related to EPiServer.Shell and Virtual Path Providers.

Jun 24, 2013 17:18

Try to set forceBinFolderScan="true" in episerver.framework.config


Jun 26, 2013 13:52

I applied Patch 4 to a site that was 7.0.586.1 and get the exactly the same problem. I have compared the config files to a working site. No signinficant differences other than site names and such. No changes i paths.
forceBinFolderScan is true.

All VPP files are the same too.

Did you find a solution to this?

Edited, Feb 14, 2014 9:41


I have exactly the same problem being showing up recently.

Did anyone found a solution?

May 21, 2014 13:39

Anton, this is probably just caused by an error in your config files. Either something failed during your upgrade or you have overwritten changes in your config.

Rollback your upgrade and try again.

To be able to help you we need to know exactly on what version you started from and to what version you tried to upgrade to when it failed.

May 21, 2014 13:48

Yes, setting 'forceBinFolderScan="true"' helped me as well had wierd Url's like: http://mySite/ClientResources/ClientResources/Epi/Base/CMS.css 404 (File not found) 

Jul 02, 2014 15:07
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.