Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour today (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

EPi 6 - LDAP and Novell

Vote:

Hi,
I've been reading the manual for 4.62 (the current version in production for a client) and the manual for 6.0.
And there is no way of knowing if LDAP and Novell is supported in the 6.0, there is no section for it.
Only Windows (Active Directory), EPi or other database.

Is LDAP and Novell supported for importing user groups at all?
// Carl

Oct 05, 2010 14:56
Vote:

Hi,

I know that we at least support LDAP, but Novell I have no idea about.

Oct 05, 2010 16:22
Vote:

I've found how you configure the LDAP connection:
http://world.episerver.com/Documentation/Items/Tech-Notes/EPiServer-CMS-6/EPiServer-CMS-60/Configuration---Active-Directory-Membership-Provider/
And that should be enough for supporting Novell I think.
But there is no good documentation for it, or how to import the user groups (if there is, I haven't found it yet).

Oct 05, 2010 16:29
Vote:

Yeah, unfortunately (for you) we use Microsoft.NET standard AD provider. So I think you need to create your own provider for Novell...

Oct 05, 2010 16:31
Vote:

Ok..

Any documentation for creating providers?

Oct 05, 2010 16:33
Vote:

Oct 05, 2010 16:34
Vote:

Oct 05, 2010 16:34
Vote:

A hiccup in the posting of replies :).

Oct 05, 2010 16:36
Vote:

I'm afraid not.... I would use Reflector and look at the EPiServer.Security.ActiveDirectoryProvider, which inherits from EPiServer.Web.Security.RoleProvider. Then I would search the net on how to create a Membership LDAP provider for Novell. As it is standard Microsoft technology we are using, it shouldn't be that hard if you find some .NET examples.

But Reflector is your (only) friend!

Edited, Oct 05, 2010 16:42
Vote:

NJupiter library provides MembershipProvider and RoleProvider for generic LDAP connections. It's tested against Novell.

http://code.google.com/p/njupiter/

It's useful with Active Directory as the builtin providers use SMB over TCP (port 445) in addition to LDAP (port 389). With nJupiter you only require access to the Active Directory LDAP port.

Oct 27, 2010 10:02
Vote:

Has anyone got this working with eDirectory?

Apr 11, 2011 15:38
Vote:

Johan Walsh: If you mean nJupiter.DataAccess.Ldap the answer is yes ;) I am the author of the component and I have it in production on several servers using eDirectory.
I have also heard about reports by other people using it in production environment together with eDirectory. Unfortunately I didn't know about System.DirectoryServices.Protocols when I wrote this component so it is written with the old System.DirectoryServices-components which uses COM-wrappers and the error messages those components generates are some times very hard to interpret, but I have written a small troubleshooter on the bottom of this page http://code.google.com/p/njupiter/wiki/nJupiterDataAccessLdap
If you still not get it up and running with those instructions, don't hesitate to contact me.

//Martin

Jul 01, 2011 17:28
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.