Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Public/non-public pages

Vote:

Hi,

I'm currently building a site that will have both a public as well as a non-public area accessible only after logging in. So far, I have no idea how to build the log in functionality. However, I'm counting on finding something useful in e.g. the AlloyTech example site once I start digging into that.

Anyway, at the moment I'm building a news list functionality that should display the latest news on the publicly accessible start page. But the thing is that it should filter out only publicly available news items to show on the start page. So what would be the best way to mark each page public or non-public? I thought about setting up a category called e.g. "public page" and filtering based on that, not sure it is a good way of doing it though. I guess for the non-public part of the site I will use the access control framework. So is there a better way of keeping track of public/non-public pages than simply categorizing them?

Regards,

Jul 29, 2011 13:32
Vote:

Hi Anders

1. Login functionality - like you said, take a look at the AlloyTech templates for example of login page
  2. Depending on your needs you can easily remove the Everyone group for the non-public content and add a new group that has read access to it instead
  3. Depending on how you implement your list functionality you'd need to use the Filter classes to only show content that the user has access to. If you're using PageList or NewsList they automatically filter out pages that are not published and that the user doesn't have access to.

I've written a little about this previously that might be useful for you to read through: http://www.frederikvig.com/tag/episerver-web-controls/ and http://www.frederikvig.com/2009/05/episerver-filter-part-1/.

Hope this helps

Frederik

Jul 29, 2011 14:37
Vote:

Hi Fredrik,

Ok, that's good news, since I'm using the PageList for showing the news I won't have to bother with filtering it then. I will certainly take a look at your blog. I've come across it several times when I've been looking for information regarding EPi and it is a GREAT help for an EPi newbie like me! Thank you very much for your help.

Regards / Anders

Jul 29, 2011 15:23
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.