Vulnerability in EPiServer.Forms

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Failed to start site http://myserver/, error "The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized."


Hi all.

I have recently moved an EPiServer 5 installation on a 2003 Server R2 to Episerver 6R2 on a 2008 R2 Server.

Things are finally starting to work, but I have noticed that the EPiServer Scheduler Service fails once every 22 minutes with the messsage:

Failed to start site http://myserver/, error "The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized."

I have stopped all scheduler tasks in admin mode, so there should not be any scheduled tasks. I have also, just to eliminate, given the EPiServer Scheduler service sufficient rights (admin). But still no help.

What could it be that the Scheduler needs access to?

Also what scheduled task is running if no tasks are active?


Petter Topp

Dec 05, 2012 8:45

Not sure what access the Scheduler needs but what I usually do when moving a site is to run the deployment center and just install a site to get a folder with the right access on it.

Also what scheduled task is running if no tasks are active?

The scheduler is responsive for publishing pages that have dates set in the future, so guessing this is always run. You could turn of the scheduler in the episerver.config under 

Dec 05, 2012 10:54

Hi Petter.

I also used the Deployment Center to set up the new site, althoug I have replaced both the "site" folder and the VPP forlder with my own once the new site was running. 

I will of course need the scheduler to run at some point so turning it off permanently is no option. For now the scheduled tasks was disabled simply to see if the problem stoped or was related to any of the tasks. 

As for the publishing of pages that has the publishing date set in the future, isn't this one of the tasks that can be disabled in admin?

So to narrow things down, it looks like the particular error I get is related to some built-in EPiServer task that has been scheduled to run evry 20 min. If we knew what this was, it would be easier to find out what the problem is....


Dec 05, 2012 12:47

If it's something that comes every 20 min I would suspect the indexing. As this is set to 20 min by default. Could it be that you have some vpp registerd at the indexer that doesn't exist anymore?

Is the http://myserver/ a url that your using or someting just showing in the error?

Check if you have any site that shoulding be there in the:

C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\Shared\Services\EPiServer.SchedulerService.Sites.xml

Dec 05, 2012 13:53

There are a couple of SiteUrl's that shouldn't be there - actually the siteUrl's points to my local machine.

How is this list generated?

Can I just delete these sites from the file?


Dec 05, 2012 13:59

Deleting the line should be fine. Make a copy of the file and remove the line then change the name of the old one just as a backup.

If I remember correctly the sites are registerd on startup. So when a site starts it will register so that it's VPP's can be indexed.

Dec 05, 2012 14:46

Hi Petter.

I had too many windows running yesterday..., the SchedulerService.Sites.Xml only contains one site, and it's valid...

Anyway, I think I have found the problem.

After having installed a new site with my site name, I simply replaced the corresponding sitefolder under the VPP folder with my own.

This folder does not have the user "IIS_IUSERS(MYSERVER\IIS_IUSRS)" created by the Development Center.

This user is not a domain user and it seems that this is a local system user. I have tried adding it manually, but have not been successfull so far.

I would really like som input on how to handle this situation, because I don't see any other way on how to upgrade a site without copying the VPP folder....


Dec 06, 2012 9:49
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.