Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Uploading a .link file appears to instead upload the target of the shortcut

Vote:

Client has an intranet on EPiServer.

They want to put an ".lnk" file in the File Management.  This is a desktop shortcut to an Outlook form.  The target is:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE"  /c "IPM.Note.NOA"

It works when served from raw IIS -- downloading the file executes it and opens this outlook form, so I know downloading and running it should be fine.

However, it appears EPiServer won't upload it correctly --

When you upload it into EPiServer, it shows up in File Management as "OUTLOOK.EXE".  When you download it, it indeed downloads a 12.6 MB file, named "OUTLOOK.EXE".  This appears to be the actual Outlook executable, as I've verifed that it's the same exact size as the EXE in the Microsoft Office directory.  (I tried running it, but it complains that a DLL is missing.)

What is going on here?  It looks like uploading the .lnk file instead uploads the Outlook executable, which is the target of the shortcut.  Has anyone ever seen this before?

Apr 13, 2012 17:02
Vote:

You'll probably have to do something to rename the file to a different extension.  Windows treats the file the same way *nix systems treat a symbolic link.  The best option I can think of for uploading it is to make it an extension windows doesn't know and then rename it on the server so that it comes back down as a link.

Apr 13, 2012 18:24
Vote:

Sadly, you can't rename the extension from File Management.  You can rename the file, but not the extension.

Apr 13, 2012 19:28
Vote:

Apr 13, 2012 19:28
Vote:

Also, I've confirmed that this has nothing to do with EPiServer, but is default Windows functionality.

Apr 13, 2012 19:37
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.