Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

How to create an Administrator Group?

Vote:

Hi, 

For some weird reason, I'm not able to make an Administer Group. 

This is what I did: 

- in CMS > Admin Mode > Administer Groups I added a Group "Admins_International_Test". If I browse through the list of groups, I see this group with Provider 'EPiServerCommonRoleProvider'. 

- then, in CMS > Admin Mode > Set Access Rights, I select the site and click Add Users/Groups. In the popup, I select the the "Admins_International_Test" group and click OK. The "Admins_International_Test" group appears in the list. I check all checkboxes (Read, Create, Change, Delte, Publish, Administer, Select All), and click Save. If I check the list again, then I see the group with all permissions checked. 

- Now, if I go to CMS > Edit Mode > and I select the website, and click 'Change Acces Right' (the yellow key), then the same list (with the group Group "Admins_International_Test") appears. But: if I click Administer Groups, then this Group does not appear in the list. 

So, how do you create an Administrator Group? 

Best, Leonard

Jan 23, 2014 12:05
Vote:

Hi Leonard!

I followed your steps in a my local 6R2 site, and got the expected result all the way down to the But:, (using an AuditingSqlRoleProvider though) but do you go back into admin mode and reexamine the Administer Groups list? or which list do you mean? not quite following ^^;

//Mathias

Jan 23, 2014 12:55
Vote:

I cannot either fully understand what you problem is. When you are inside edit mode and select "Change Access Rights" any changes will only effect that one single page. Any changes to the page tree have to be done in admin mode.

Also - "EPiServerCommonRoleProvider" - does this mean that you have a Relate site?

Jan 23, 2014 13:11
Vote:

Hi Mathias, Thanks for your quick reply! 

I'm not going back to the admin mode, I'm staying at the same place: so, I go to CMS > Edit Mode > and I select the website, and click 'Change Acces Right' (the yellow key), then the screen with title 'Set Access Rights for Page "Site"' appears, with the text "You can select which users and groups that will have access to this page as well as what they are allowed to do with the page." and then with a list of groups. This list also contains the group "Admins_International_Test". At the bottom of the page there are 2 buttons: "Add Users/Groups" and "Administer Groups". If I click this "Administer Groups"-button, then a popup appears: after clicking Search in the popup, a list of groups is displayed, but the "Admins_International_Test" group is not there. 

I also created a user and added this user to the "Admins_International_Test" group. I tried to login with that user in EPiServer, but that does not work. 

Jan 23, 2014 13:19
Vote:

In a standard CMS 6 installation, the Change Access Rights UI in Edit mode consists of "Add Users/Groups" button. There is no "Administer Groups". 

You can see this yourself by logging in to the http://demo.episerver.com/ site (epiuser/episerver).

Could this be a custom button for your project?

Jan 23, 2014 13:46
Vote:

Hm, I'm sorry but I can't remember ever seeing the Administer Groups button there. I only have one; Add User/Groups. Are there any customizations made to the access rights page in edit mode? I believe it's called EditSecurity.aspx. Or any PageAdapter changing the page?

Is the user that you added to Admins_International_Test also a member of WebEditors (or whichever group you have in the location-tags for allowing access to the UI path)? If not, that may be why you can't use it to get into edit mode.

Update: Mari, you write faster than me >_<

Edited, Jan 23, 2014 13:49
Vote:

Thank you Mari and Mathias! I see, this "Administer Groups" button is a custom thing, I didn't know that, I will dive into it to check what it does :-)

To be clear, I'm trying to create a Group with Administrator Right for a newly created site (called 'International'), and then I want to add users to this Group. 

So, I created a Group 'Admins_International_Test', set the Acces Rights of this group, create a new user and made this user member of the WebEditors and Admins_International_Test group. Then I logged in with this user-account, I expect to be able to see the Admin Mode stuff, but I don't see that, so something goes wrong somewhere....

Jan 24, 2014 10:02
Vote:

Try add the user to WebAdmins to get access to the Admin Mode.

Jan 24, 2014 10:04
Vote:

I don;t have a WebAdmins group. I do have a Administrator group. This gives the user access to the Admin Mode, but it also gives the user access to the Admin Mode of all other sites...

Jan 24, 2014 10:18
Vote:

Hm, I don't think there are separate admin modes for multiple site solutions by default, nor is it configurable in regards of access to different parts of it (please correct me if I'm wrong). Could this be a reason for the custom Edit-mode Administer Groups-button? I mean, that someone wanted to give access to admin mode features to certain groups and does this by supplying it in edit mode.

Interesting problem though..

Jan 24, 2014 10:42
Vote:

Okay, thanks. I'm actually not sure where the default EPiServer behaviour ends, and where our customizations start. 

We have different sites for different countries, and we have Admin Groups for every country (Admins_Sweden, Admins_Netherlands, etc), and a 'Global' admin account, which gives Administrator rights to all different sites. I was under the impression that this was default EPiServer behaviour, but apparently this is custom made. 

I will explain the situation to the end user, and will dive into the world of Admin right at a later moment. Thank for now for your help, and for your patience :-)

Jan 24, 2014 10:52
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.