Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Creating a user after installation

Vote:

Hi I just installed episerver 5.2 on our remote server. How do I create a user to log in to the system?

- Sune 

Mar 15, 2010 10:41
Vote:

I managed to create a couple of users signing in with the WindowsMembershipProvider but I cant log in with any of them. Any idea what could be causing this?

- Sune

Mar 15, 2010 12:40
Vote:

By default EPiServer is installed using the Windows Membership and Role Provider. This means that your local administrator account will be able to log in to EPiServer. In order to create more users you either need to create windows users assigned to the Administrator role, but the most convenient is to change the default provider to use with EPiServer. This change is done in web.config. See http://world.episerver.com/Documentation/Items/Tech-Notes/EPiServer-CMS-5/EPiServer-CMS-5-R2-SP2/Authentication-and-Authorization-in-EPiServer-CMS-5/ for more information.

Mar 15, 2010 13:16
Vote:

I have currently set the defaultProvider to MultiplexingRoleProvider:

<roleManager enabled="true" defaultProvider="MultiplexingRoleProvider" cacheRolesInCookie="true">

shouldnt I theoretically be able to log in with my created users?

- Sune

Mar 17, 2010 12:55
Vote:

btw I also tried to set it to <roleManager enabled="true" defaultProvider="SqlServerRoleProvider" cacheRolesInCookie="true"> that didnt change anything except I couldnt log in with my default administrator account.

Mar 17, 2010 13:02
Vote:

In addition to having a user (with any provider) you need to specify that certain "groups" have access to Edit mode (and admin mode). This is done in web.config where you have <location path> for edit and admin and other parts of EPiServer. Allow roles are by default set to administrators (the reason why your local windows user can log in) and 2 groups called WebEditors and WebAdmins. If you create these 2 groups in Admin mode and add the created users I believe you should be able to log in.

Mar 17, 2010 13:06
Vote:

Yeah that did the trick. Thanks a lot.

cheers 

- Sune

Mar 17, 2010 13:23
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.