Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Localization of categories

Vote:

Please implement a way to localize Categories. e.g. a category has a different "display name" in different languages Since Categories are based upon ID's it shouldn't be impossible Hope to see this feature in a upcoming release
Aug 24, 2006 15:48
Vote:

Yes that would be great, we had to create a custom implementation for this (without any user interface). And thats the second suggestion: When this is implemented in a future version of EPiServer, it would be nice to - i.e.: give a site editor possiblities to translate names and description from edit mode. Today you need admin access to edit categories. Freddy
Oct 20, 2006 13:33
Vote:

Have you tried adding the translated strings to a language xml file (in the lang directory)? This would allow you to customize the category names per language. For an example, see the templateLanguageSV.xml or similar file in a sample web site - or simply add the following (with your own category names) to a language file: Nyheter Teknik Data Supportärende If this is not the functionality you are looking for, please clarify. There is currently no graphical user interface (from Edit mode or otherwise) to modify these language files, however.
Nov 07, 2006 15:43
Vote:

I'm trying to do the same thing, and I found the categories-tree in the language xml file. I'm a little confused when it comes to the nomenclature though. The "description" in the xml file seems to be the translation for the name? Is there a way to localize the category description as well?
Dec 05, 2006 14:31
Vote:

You're right it's confusing! I think you should treat the different properties as follows. * Category.Name shall not be translated nor be used for visitors. It shall be treated as systemname because it's used in code to find different paths in the category tree by code. Of cource it's possible to do the same thing with the ID, but since there is no GUI that displays the Category.ID to the siteowner it's in practise useless. * Category.LocalizedDescription shall be considered as LocalizedName. This is a bit confusing and inconsistent with other object types in the system but in my eyes the best way to use the category object. Hope this helps! /HAXEN
Dec 11, 2006 9:55
Vote:

Right. So there is no (built-in) way to translate the description for the category?
Dec 15, 2006 13:37
Vote:

You can translate the Description with the lang-xml method described above. Then it's even more important to not change the name of a category in the Admin view. /HAXEN
Dec 18, 2006 11:29
Vote:

I noticed when I tried som more today that it was the description that was translated, but there was no way to translate the name. I added a way, if anyone is interested: Katt <-- added Djur med fyra ben And then you can use EPiServer.Global.EPLang.LanguageDocument.\\ Translate("/categories/category[@name='cat']/translatedname", "SV"); to get the swedish translation for the name.
Dec 19, 2006 11:20
Vote:

Hello,

This is quite an old thread, however I wanted to ask: Has Translation of Categories (via admin mode, instead of XML localization file) been implemented?

Thank you, 

Apr 28, 2016 5:49
Vote:

You could use e.g. my provider, which supports categorie translation from within the content tree. It's also on NuGet.

Or you could use Valdis's provider

Apr 28, 2016 11:02
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.