Virtual Happy Hour this month, Jun 28, we'll be getting a sneak preview at our soon to launch SaaS CMS!

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Daniel Ovaska
Aug 10, 2009
  7637
(1 votes)

Xforms performance

Introduction

The main issue is that the XFormSelect.aspx does a lot of database calls to load each xform. You can check the bug #25759: EPiServer.UI.Edit.XFormSelect.LoadForms calls GetxFormUsedonPages twice per xform on each request.

The problem is that GetxFormUsedonPages results in a call to the FindPagesByCriteria method. If you haven’t been warned about using that method extensively, you should have been. So the bottom line is that if you have 200 xforms this will result in 2*200=400 FindPagesByCriteria calls every time the popup is opened / paged / filtered which hammers the database badly and can result in deadlocks. Response time at worst for me was around 120 seconds which causes a timeout error.

Solution

Warning: This solution modifies some files in the episerver UI folder. This will have to be redone after upgrading episerver. If possible, wait until episerver implements some similar solution. I did not have that option with a lot of angry editors on my back. If you do not have the privilege of time, feel free to use my workaround.

  1. Locate and backup the modified UI files (XFormSelect.aspx, XFormSelect.ascx, XFormEdit.aspx)
    These are usually found at C:\Program\EPiServer\CMS\5.2.375.133\Application\UI\Edit when doing a standard install.
  2. Replace the files above with the
  3. Add some logging, change namespaces etc to fit your needs.
  4. Add these files and their code behind files (.cs) to your solution. 
  5. Add the XFormManager.cs to your solution.
  6. Open your Global.asax and add the following lines:
    a)  If you haven't added some page events. Do it…
    protected void Application_Start(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
        EPiServer.DataFactory.Instance.CreatedPage += 
    new PageEventHandler(onCreatedPage); EPiServer.DataFactory.Instance.DeletedPage +=
    new PageEventHandler(onDeletedPage); EPiServer.DataFactory.Instance.SavedPage +=
    new EPiServer.PageEventHandler(OnSavedPage); }
    b) Add event handlers if you don’t have any. 
    private void onDeletedPage(object sender, PageEventArgs e)
    {
       PageData deletedPage = 
    EPiServer.DataFactory.Instance.GetPage(e.PageLink); InvalidateXFormCache(deletedPage); } private void OnSavedPage(object sender, EPiServer.PageEventArgs e) { PageData updatedPage =
    EPiServer.DataFactory.Instance.GetPage(e.PageLink); InvalidateXFormCache(updatedPage); } private void onCreatedPage(object sender, PageEventArgs e) { PageData createdPage =
    EPiServer.DataFactory.Instance.GetPage(e.PageLink); InvalidateXFormCache(createdPage); }
  7. c) Add private helper function to invalidate xforms cache for that page.
    private void InvalidateXFormCache(PageData page)
    {
       try
       {
           foreach (PropertyData prop in page.Property)
           {
              if (prop.Name == "XForm")
              {
                 if (prop.Value != null)
                 {
                      string formid = prop.Value.ToString();
                      if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(formid))
                      {
                         string cacheKey = "xFormUsedonPages" + formid;
                         HttpContext.Current.Cache.Remove(cacheKey);
                      }
                 }
               }
             }
         }
         catch (Exception ex)
         {
             //Do some logging with log4net for example
         }
    }
  8. Build and try it out and add a comment on this blog

Summary

To solve the bad performance with xforms selection and the deadlocks in the database this can cause I added caching in a helper class (XFormsManager) and redirected the calls from XFormSelect.ascx and XFormEdit.aspx to use this class instead. This reduced the response time from 120 seconds to a few ms. As the XFormSelect page also displays which pages use which form, I added eventhandlers to Global.asax to ensure that these text were updated.

Aug 10, 2009

Comments

Sep 21, 2010 10:32 AM

Nice work
/ Anders Hattestad

Magnus Rahl
Magnus Rahl Sep 21, 2010 10:32 AM

Question: You tagged this with CMS 5 R2 SP1, is that correct? A customer seems to have encountered this problem when upgrading to SP2, it was fine in SP1.

Sep 21, 2010 10:32 AM

Magnus: Yes that is correct. This problem was noticed when upgrading from 5.1 SP2 to 5 R2 SP1. If you should happen to find a true fix to the database issue rather then curing the symphoms with caching, feel free to let me know about it :)
/ Daniel

Sep 21, 2010 10:32 AM

I get an error when I try to edit a form and choose the "edit and save" button. If I edit and just save it works.

Jun 18, 2015 08:52 AM

The bad performance I talk about in this case with Xforms has been fixed with EPiServer 6 and is no longer an issue. 

Please login to comment.
Latest blogs
Remove a segment from the URL in CMS 12

Problem : I have created thousands of pages dynamically using schedule jobs with different templates (e.g. one column, two columns, etc..) and stor...

Sanjay Kumar | Jun 21, 2024

Copying property values part 2

After publishing my last article about copying property values to other language versions, I received constructive feedback on how could I change t...

Grzegorz Wiecheć | Jun 18, 2024 | Syndicated blog

Enhancing online shopping through Optimizely's personalized product recommendations

In this blog, I have summarized my experience of using and learning product recommendation feature of Optimizely Personalization Artificial...

Hetaxi | Jun 18, 2024

New Series: Building a .NET Core headless site on Optimizely Graph and SaaS CMS

Welcome to this new multi-post series where you can follow along as I indulge in yet another crazy experiment: Can we make our beloved Alloy site r...

Allan Thraen | Jun 14, 2024 | Syndicated blog