Virtual Happy Hour this month, Jun 28, we'll be getting a sneak preview at our soon to launch SaaS CMS!

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

HXH
HXH
Apr 30, 2010
  7459
(0 votes)

Getting Friendly, International URLs

It’s generally best practice to display friendly URL’s to web visitors instead of the standard PageLink attribute that the system uses (A URL like http://www.somesite.com/en-us/MyProductCategory/MyProduct/ looks a lot nicer than http://www.somesite.com/PageTemplates/HomePageTemplate.aspx?id=643&epslanguage=en-US)

To that end, I often find myself using a procedure called GetFriendlyURL, which takes a PageData object and a Boolean value, and returns a friendly URL based on the UrlRewriteProvider.ConvertToExternal function. It goes something like this:

        public static string GetFriendlyUrl(PageData pd, bool Absolute)
        {
            UrlBuilder url = new UrlBuilder(pd.LinkURL);
            EPiServer.Global.UrlRewriteProvider.ConvertToExternal(url, pd.PageLink, UTF8Encoding.UTF8);
            if (!Absolute)
            {
                return url.ToString();
            }
            else
            {
                return GetBaseUrl() + url.ToString();
            }
        }

Unfortunately, I’ve noticed that this procedure tends to always return the link in the form that the PageData object was originally created in… so if I’m on a different locale, I’ll often get links returned that include the /en-us/ (our base language) even though they should technically be returning links in the locale the user is currently in.

I address this issue with a simple string replacement procedure, as seen below:

        public static string FetchInternationalLink(String InternationalLink, String LanguageVersion)
        {
            return InternationalLink.Replace("en-us", LanguageVersion.ToLower());
        }

Voila – clean, friendly, internationalized URL’s in just a few lines of code.

Apr 30, 2010

Comments

valdis
valdis Oct 24, 2011 05:54 PM

This post seems to be a bit outdated, but anyway. I ran into similar issue and found that better approach is to use:

new UrlBuilder(UriSupport.AddLanguageSelection(pd.LinkURL, pd.LanguageBranch));

That will add/set correct language query parameter to the link and will workout fine during link transformation to friendly URL.

Please login to comment.
Latest blogs
New Series: Building a .NET Core headless site on Optimizely Graph and SaaS CMS

Welcome to this new multi-post series where you can follow along as I indulge in yet another crazy experiment: Can we make our beloved Alloy site r...

Allan Thraen | Jun 14, 2024 | Syndicated blog

Inspect In Index is finally back

EPiCode.InspectInIndex was released 9 years ago . The Search and Navigation addon is now finally upgraded to support Optimizely CMS 12....

Haakon Peder Haugsten | Jun 14, 2024

Change the IP HTTP Header used for geo-lookup in Application Insights

.

Johan Kronberg | Jun 10, 2024 | Syndicated blog

Copying property values

In this article I’d like to show simple Edit Mode extension for copying property values to other language versions. In one of my previous blogposts...

Grzegorz Wiecheć | Jun 8, 2024 | Syndicated blog