Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Translating the ContentTypes and Properties using Db Localization Provider

Vote:

Tried the DB Localization Provider (https://blog.tech-fellow.net/2016/03/01/episerver-database-localization-provider-released/) briefly on a testsite but struggled to get translation of pagetypes and properties in EPiServer Edit UI to work. Can this addon handle translation of those models aswell or is it only for custom models tagged with LocalizedResouce attribute and I have to use the standard xml files to translate UI specific names?

Aug 09, 2018 11:02
Vote:

Hi Tobias

Its certainly can handle translation of anything that would have traditionally been translated using XML files. I just tried it on Alloy Demo Kit (https://github.com/episerver/AlloyDemoKit) which already uses Db Localization Provider and can confirm that page types can be translated. 

You will need to ensure your localization section looks like this to ensure all localizations are pulled from the provider:

<localization fallbackBehavior="Echo, FallbackCulture" fallbackCulture="en">
  <providers>
    <add name="db" type="DbLocalizationProvider.EPiServer.DatabaseLocalizationProvider, DbLocalizationProvider.EPiServer" />
  </providers>
</localization>

There is also a migration tool to move all lang.xml files into the provider too, will track down the link post here.

David

Aug 09, 2018 13:14
Vote:

The migration tool I mentioned:

https://blog.tech-fellow.net/2016/03/01/episerver-database-localization-provider-released/

Aug 09, 2018 13:17
Vote:

Ok, just want to make sure before I install this on our main development project: We don't have any xml-files yet and most PageTypes and BlockTypes's ContentType attribute only contain GUID and GroupName and properties' Display attribute only contain GroupName and Order (No Name or Description settings). Will existing PageTypes and properties be picked up and added as strings by the Db Localization Provider or do I need to create xmlfiles first that can be migrated?

Aug 09, 2018 15:05
Vote:

"Will existing PageTypes and properties be picked up and added as strings by the Db Localization Provider" pretty sure the answer to this is no so you'd probably have to create them. The format is pretty simple to work out though, for example these are the keys for the start page in a standard Alloy site:

/contenttypes/startpage/description

/contenttypes/startpage/name

I'm pretty sure you could write in init module to spin through all the registered content types and create a key in the DB localization provider that would allow them to be translated.

Aug 09, 2018 15:20
Vote:

Ok, will try this out. Thanks for the input

Aug 09, 2018 15:29
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.