Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Running an upgrade with a local windows account

Vote:

I'm trying to run the upgrade to CMS 6 and having trouble accessing the SQL database as the Deployment Center is running under a local windows account that doesn't have access to the SQL server. The server is not a part of a domain, so I don't have an option to use a domain account, and the Upgrade process doesn't give you an option on how to connect as the Install does.

My initial thought was to create an identical local user on the SQL Server, but the hosting team is not that keen on that idea. I have also been looking at modifying the powershell scripts, changing the installer database login name/password from being explicitly set to null. I'm assuming however that a change to these scripts would require that the scripts are re-signed, but maybe this is easy?

So my question is therefore if anyone knows if there is another, better workaround?

Thanks
Henrik

Jul 07, 2010 3:21
Vote:

Normally it connects using the connection string found in web.config, i was not aware that it required access to the database from the currently logged in user (assuming your connection string in web.config is not using windows auth of course).

Unsigned powershell scripts (just remove the signature) can be started by changing the execution policy on the machine from a powershell prompt:

Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

Just remember to restore the execution policy, check with Get-ExecutionPolicy to determine the current level (by default AllSigned).

Jul 07, 2010 15:48
Vote:

Thanks for the help regarding the PowerShell stuff, really need to get going with some of that.

The comments in one of the install scripts, Install Database (SqlServer), indicates that Windows Athentication is forced if the InstallerDatabaseLoginName/Password parameters are empty "...passing String.Empty to the LoginName and LoginPassword parameters will force use of Windows authentication". And they are set to null in the Upgrade Site (SqlServer) ps script.

Got our hosting guys to create a temporary user, but might update the upgrade scripts for future use. That is if you don't do it before me... ;)

Thanks again!

Jul 08, 2010 4:22
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.