Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Move categories between groups

Vote:

The category feature has a very high potential when it comes to implement features that list related content. For example, you could create a taxonomy with categories. But when I explored the category function in Admin, I soon realised that there is an unnecessary weakness. I can make groups of categories and I can sort categories within a group. Great! But why can’t I move a category from one group to another? Today, the only way is to delete the category, create a new one and re-categorize all concerns pages.
Aug 12, 2005 15:58
Vote:

You could access tblCategory in the database and move it manually, that's what I've had to do. Maybe someone has a better idea, though.
Aug 15, 2005 11:10
Vote:

Hi Do you see the changes at once or do you have to reset the web server (iisreset.exe)? I can't get the category page to update without a reset of the web server. Is this still the best way to do it?? regs //Stefan
Sep 05, 2005 16:48
Vote:

Hehe... Probably not. We have managed to add buttons for changing level in the category hierarchy. However, the page is cached so one need to reload the page just to see them. There is probably a solution to this, but we haven't figured witch cache to kill. Still I want to see this function in the product. It’s demoralizing for the user to republish lets say a 100 pages just because the buttons are missing. And you really can’t ask the user to move the category manually in the DB. Regards, Sebastian
Sep 06, 2005 8:48
Vote:

I've add a page for the administrator to change parent for a category and it works alright except for the fact of caching. But I've noticed that the cache for the categories is cleared if you press the chang button followed by the save button for the category on the page for administrating the categories. regs //Stefan
Sep 06, 2005 14:38
Vote:

You should be able to work against the DataAbstraction.Category class. When changing the parent category and saving it the cache should be cleared.
Sep 22, 2005 16:41
Vote:

As the Category class doesn't support changing of parent. You have to do that change yourself in the database. To clear the cache use following code EPiServer.CacheManager.Remove("EP:CategoryRoot"); /Håkan
Sep 23, 2005 15:39
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.