Lee Crowe
Apr 27, 2011
  2864
(4 votes)

IMPORTANT: .ASPX file caching/compilation issues caused by my open source assemblies

The Problem

Some of us over the last few months have been experiencing issues within our EPiServer sites where when we have been changing .aspx, .ascx and other files within our web application the changes have not been reflected when viewing the pages in our web browsers.

Today I noticed an issue that was logged against my FilteredPageReference assembly http://episerverfpr.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic. which pointed at the assembly causing the compilation/caching issues we have been experiencing

The Cause

The search and replace plugin I developed last year uses embedded resources and custom resource path provider classes.  During development I had issues with my ResourcePathProvider class and more specifically the GetCacheDependency method within it.

I was retrieving exceptions when browsing to some of my virtual resources telling me that the folder they lived in didn’t exist.  At the time to resolve the issue I created a cache dependency against the web.config.

Unfortunately the result of this has caused the issues mentioned above.

The Solution

I have updated all of the projects that have been affected by the issue, new versions of the assemblies can be downloaded using the following links:

Sorry Guys and Gals Sad smile

I apologise if this has caused some of you some headaches.  It certainly has caused myself and my colleagues headaches over the last few months.

What more can I say, this is software development and bugs creep in but all should be sorted now!

Apr 27, 2011

Comments

seth@blendinteractive.com
seth@blendinteractive.com Apr 27, 2011 04:45 PM

Thanks for the update and especially being so open about it. Glad to know there is a resolution!

Deane Barker
Deane Barker Apr 27, 2011 04:46 PM

Thanks for this, Lee. It had become a big problem for us. I really appreciate you stepping up and posting the solution.

Erik Nordin Wahlberg
Erik Nordin Wahlberg Apr 27, 2011 04:51 PM

I'm using https://www.coderesort.com/p/epicode/wiki/GoogleAnalyticsAPI which also uses embedded resources via a handler. Wonder if this is the issue in my case... If it is, I will send you some big big love! :)

Stefan Forsberg
Stefan Forsberg Apr 28, 2011 08:20 AM

Very well handled Mr Crowe!

Apr 28, 2011 01:21 PM

Yay, its the same issue with the GoogleAnalyticsAPI-code as well...!!

The code should of course check against the virtualPath before handing out the NeverExpiresCacheDependency, just like is done in the other methods...(!)

Good catch!!!

/johan

Please login to comment.
Latest blogs
Content Delivery API – The Case of the Duplicate API Refresh Token

Creating a custom refresh provider to resolve the issues with duplicate tokens in the DXC The post Content Delivery API – The Case of the Duplicate...

David Lewis | Sep 29, 2022 | Syndicated blog

New Optimizely certifications - register for beta testing before November 1st

In January 2023, Optimizely is making updates to the current versions of our certification exams to make sure that each exam covers the necessary...

Jamilia Buzurukova | Sep 28, 2022

Optimizely community meetup - Sept 29 (virtual + Melbourne)

Super excited to be presenting this Thursday the 29th of September at the Optimizely community meetup. For the full details and RSVP's see the...

Ynze | Sep 27, 2022 | Syndicated blog

Preview multiple Visitor Groups directly while browsing your Optimizely site

Visitor groups are great - it's an easy way to add personalization towards market segments to your site. But it does come with it's own set of...

Allan Thraen | Sep 26, 2022 | Syndicated blog