SaaS CMS has officially launched! Learn more now.
Jul 28, 2011
(2 votes)

Transferring an EPiServer 6 Site from an x86 Environment to x64

Here’s a quick note about a problem I faced when moving an EPiServer site between servers.

The original source server was an x86 machine, running Server 2008 and IIS7. The destination server also ran Server 2008 and IIS7 but was an x64 environment.

I set up the site, browsed it and all seemed to be fine until I tried to access the editor or admin, those threw back 404s.

It took me a bit of investigation to find the issue. It turns out that my episerver.config file was looking for EPiServer directories at C:\Program Files\EPiServer but on the new x64 environment EPiServer had been installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer.

These broken references were causing the 404s on the editor and admin, once they were changed the site functioned as expected.

Something to watch out for!

Jul 28, 2011


Jul 28, 2011 01:29 PM

Ran into this problem last year, our workaround was slightly different, we ended up creating a "symbolic link" as follows:

mklink /d "C:\Program Files\EPiServer" "C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer"

The reason for taking this approach was to keep the "episerver.config" file standardised across the development team for those who were running a 64bit OS.
Obviously the best approach would be to not have the "episerver.config" file under source control, but rather a global development and production config that is managed separately.

Whats your thoughts on this approach?

Please login to comment.
Latest blogs
Integration Bynder (DAM) with Optimizely

Bynder is a comprehensive digital asset management (DAM) platform that enables businesses to efficiently manage, store, organize, and share their...

Sanjay Kumar | Jul 22, 2024

Frontend Hosting for SaaS CMS Solutions

Introduction Now that CMS SaaS Core has gone into general availability, it is a good time to start discussing where to host the head. SaaS Core is...

Minesh Shah (Netcel) | Jul 20, 2024

Optimizely London Dev Meetup 11th July 2024

On 11th July 2024 in London Niteco and Netcel along with Optimizely ran the London Developer meetup. There was an great agenda of talks that we put...

Scott Reed | Jul 19, 2024

Optimizely release SaaS CMS

Discover the future of content management with Optimizely SaaS CMS. Enjoy seamless updates, reduced costs, and enhanced flexibility for developers...

Andy Blyth | Jul 17, 2024 | Syndicated blog

A day in the life of an Optimizely Developer - London Meetup 2024

Hello and welcome to another instalment of A Day In The Life Of An Optimizely Developer. Last night (11th July 2024) I was excited to have attended...

Graham Carr | Jul 16, 2024

Creating Custom Actors for Optimizely Forms

Optimizely Forms is a powerful tool for creating web forms for various purposes such as registrations, job applications, surveys, etc. By default,...

Nahid | Jul 16, 2024