Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Dynamic Data Store

Vote:

Hello,

I'm working on a site where users can save links to pages as favourites and under various other categories and I am thinking of using the Dynamic Data Store for this.

Questions I have are:

• Is this the best approach or is there a better way to do this?
  • The site will have thousands of users so I'm concerned that the DDS might not be able to scale for this or may nor perform that well with a large amount of data
  • Has anyone used the DDS in a MVC site and have any pointers as to the best architecture of using DDS in MVC

Other things to note:

• The site is Relate
  • The site must be quick and responsive
  • MVC (as mentioned above)

Any suggestions, feedback or pointers gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

May 15, 2014 12:43
Vote:

This really depends on amount of data.

If you have a lot of data, then you could create a separate database and fine-tune it.
But then you have to maintain two databases (EPi and custom one).

If you don't have a lot of data, you'll be fine with DDS.

And don't forget to build a custom caching layer on top of that :)

You can start with DDS and build a service layer (Façade) that will fetch the data from a data source (either EPi or your custom database), cache it and return it to the end user.

If you experience the performance issues, you can always change the data source, and make small changes in the service layer w/o touching the rest of the code.

Edited, May 15, 2014 13:21
Vote:

We are doing pretty simular things in some applications and we always use a own database for those part out of scalability, performance and simplicity reasons.

We often use dapper as a microORM for the communication with the database since it is built for performance and easy to use.

Edited, May 15, 2014 13:24
Vote:

Thanks Dejan and Henrik,

We will potentially have a lot of data, tens of thousands of users saving goodness knows how many links each. Based on what you've both said I think I might go down the custom database route with some caching over the top.

Thanks again,

Mark

May 16, 2014 13:19
Vote:

If there are so many users I will absolutly go for that solution.

If you have the fortune to have the solution in Framework 4.5 you should look into using Entity Framework and it's async await methods to ensure that no user will have to wait for the other.
I have code to show on how to do it, but not today, say if you want to see, then I will add it on monday

May 16, 2014 13:26
Vote:

Hi Henrik,

Thanks for that, yes we are using 4.5 and I thought I might use EF. I would be very interested to see that code, thanks,

Mark

May 16, 2014 13:36
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.