Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Is my EPiServer Search functioning correctly?


I've just recently installed the EPiServer Search module as I'm upgrading an existing version 6.5 site to version 7.5 and I'm not entirely sure that it works as it should. I've moved a big chunk of code (see below) to perform a search but when I add the text select parameter to my SearchDataSource for the text free text search the result is always zero pages found. The SearchDataSource also has two PropertyCriteriaControls that works as expected but as soon as I add the free text search; nothing. The code comes directly from the 6.5 version where it works just fine.

As I mentioned I'm not entirely sure that I've gotten the Search module installation right. I added it via Deployment Center where I choosed the "Install indexing service on existing site" option and followed the steps needed. I'm not sure my web.config settings are correct, though, because the directory I choosed (outside the site directory) is empty. Is it supposed to be? Also, when I browse the baseUri the page says "endpoint not found".

Any ideas as to what might be causing this? Below is my web.config settings.


Sep 20, 2014 20:55

It is suppose to say enpoint not found. Are their lucene files in the index folder you specified?

Sep 21, 2014 19:58

As @Joshua says, the "Endpoint not found" message is actually a good thing :-)
It would have been a different matter if you had gotten 404 or 500 errors.

Check the site's app pool identity (IIS_IUSRS by default) permissions:

  • Does it have read+modify permissions on the /IndexingService/ folder? Does it even exist?
  • Does it have read+modify permissions on the "BmIndex" you specified as your Index folder? Does it even exist?

What happens if you log into your site and try forcing a re-index?
The files in your Index folder ("BmIndex") should start to update. Note that it might take a short while to kick in.

Check your Windows EventLog for any clues.

If indexing doesn't start, the Index folder may be locked by some process. Try stopping IIS (iisreset /stop), delete and recreate your Index folder, then restart IIS (iisreset /start) and try forcing a re-index.

A few other tips for troubleshooting:

Edited, Sep 21, 2014 23:11


It was the read/modify permissions. I'd forgot all about that. Thanks a million! 

Sep 22, 2014 20:04
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.