Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Possible to migrate Wordpress blog data into EPiserver?

Vote:

Hi,

We have a Wordpress blog.

We're interested in exporting blog data from Wordpress (maybe as XML? described here: https://codex.wordpress.org/Tools_Export_Screen ), and importing dta into Episerver.

Can it be easily done?  Are there any tools. or walkthroughs available?  Has anyone successfully done something like this before?

Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks so much!

- Ken

Mar 31, 2017 19:27
Øyvind Wabakken Hognestad - Sep 11, 2019 13:08
Hi Ken.
Did you go through with this migration? We have a customer in Norway who are considering the same approch. Could you send me an email oyvind@episerver.no so I can get in touch?
Vote:

Hi Ken, I think you are definitely on the right track. As long as it's a parsable data format (XML, JSON, SQL etc), you should be able migrate the content over from any CMS to Episerver by iterating throgh the collection.

NOTE: I am not a Wordpress expert, so not sure if there a better way to export data like using their APIs to get the data directly instead of importing it as a XML.

The way I approach content migrations are by first creating an inventory of content and a mapping document (Wordpress to Epi). This will make it easier to get a formal approval from the client so there are no surprises at the end.

A few questions to ask yourself:

1. Is it straight up content migration (as is), or will the data need to be cleaned up before importing it to Episerver. If the answer is 'Yes' then it will be a lot more involved. For ex: What about HTML markup? Would you need to remove inline styles or reformat the markup etc?

2. Will there be manual updates necessary? With most content migrations there is usually some manual cleanup necessary.

3. How much content are we talking about? Should it be run one time or in chunks to avoid timeouts etc. I would also have a logging strategy on everything that gets imported (or fails).

4. Is this on a new site or existing site? If this is an existing site, make sure you have a plan on how to move content between environments, unless you are in a content freeze during this time.

5. Testing is always a little tricky with migrations, so make sure you have that formalized and approved.

Hope this helps! Good luck...

AG

Apr 03, 2017 5:26
michelle546 - Oct 12, 2022 16:12
Hi Ken. Did you go through with this migration? We are considering the same approach.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.