Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Custom help pages in EPiServer

Vote:

After some searching i couldn't find the answer but what I would like to do is the following.

Some of our custom blocks/pages do have some need of explenation in a more general sense (not on field level but more on a integration total overview level). We've created manuals and this describes them in depth. I would like to add those guides to the help menu so my cms-users can look them up very easilly. 

If there's no preset functionality I'm thinking of developing a custom menu item for it. But first I like to know your thoughts

Apr 20, 2020 14:04
Vote:

Not exactly what you ask, but I have added some text/description in this way: 

https://www.gulla.net/episerver-help-texts-improved/

If your entire manual/description is too large, you could just add a link this way. It will be more visible than a menu item on the help menu...

Apr 20, 2020 15:52
Vote:

I've actually considered this byself, my solution was to follow https://www.jondjones.com/learn-episerver-cms/episerver-developers-tutorials/episerver-customizing-episervers-ui/displaying-a-custom-on-page-editing-view/ which allows you to add an extra edit view for documentation. Then when that view renders it shows the docuemntation for whatever block/page/media type you are on.

Apr 21, 2020 7:46
Vote:

I ran into a simular issue since we have over 150 web authors, so we needed a centeralized place to put the help.   

I don't know if this will help you, but what I did was create a help sub-section within Epi and set the permissions to where only web editors can access it, and only when they are logged into Episerver.

I then added a link to the top nav so it has the highest amout of visabilty. 

Help Menu

This gives the admins the abilty to adjust the Episerver help page within Epi and things can be up to date.  We also use the help section to make announcments of new features and host our user group videos.  

Adding this link was really simple as well, though there are better ways to get the link than hard code it, but this is for internal use (you just need to make sure the permissions are set up correctly)

[MenuProvider]
    public class CmsMenuProvider : IMenuProvider
    {

public IEnumerable<MenuItem> GetMenuItems()
        {
            var menuItems = new List<MenuItem>();
            menuItems.Add(new UrlMenuItem("EPiServer Help",
                MenuPaths.Global + "/cms" + "/cmsMenuItem",
                UriSupport.ResolveUrlFromUIAsRelativeOrAbsolute("/help/"))
            {
                SortIndex = SortIndex.Last,
                IsAvailable = (request) => PrincipalInfo.HasEditorAccess
            });

return menuItems;
        }
Apr 21, 2020 19:25
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.