Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Database CPU peak and slow UI from editing specific block

Vote:

We have a situation where if we edit specific blocks, we see database cpu peaks and a non-responding admin UI 

In logs we see that a specific query peaks on the database and if we follow application insight trace logs (epi is run on an app service in azure) for one of the requests from the admin UI we see a burst of sql server requests and also requests to epifind which seems to run in sequence making the response back to the frontend real slow.

The block is used on multiple pages, also on pages which are children to parents which also contains the block. 

Below follod what we see in the browser Network trace (not all requests listed only those that has an abnormal response time):  

To trigger the requests we edit in a field (XHtmlString tinyMCE) of the block and put focus in another field then these request fires:

POST https://*host*/EPiServer/cms/Stores/contentversion/ 

Response takes 1.2 minute

Automatically the this request is fired:

POST https://*host*/EPiServer/cms/Stores/contentdata/1911_81792 

Response takes 1.2 minute

After these calls have returned the admin UI signals that "Publish" can be done. And we publish, then this request is made

POST https://*host*/EPiServer/cms/Stores/contentdata/1911_81792 

This Response takes at least > 1.2 minutes (company proxy time outs) 

Edit has been published though 

In database logs we see this. HMM I cant upload images. You have to take my word for it. We see spikes from a particular query:

INSERT INTO @Result 

SELECT 

tblContentLanguage.fkLanguageBranchID AS OwnerLanguageID, 

NULL AS ReferencedLanguageID, 

tblContent.pkID AS OwnerID, 

tblContentLanguage.Name  As OwnerName, 

tp.pkID AS ReferencedID, 

tpl.Name AS ReferencedName, 

2 AS ReferenceType 

FROM 

tblContent 

INNER JOIN  

tblContentLanguage ON tblContentLanguage.fkContentID=tblContent.pkID 

INNER JOIN 

tblContent AS tp ON tblContent.ArchiveContentGUID=tp.ContentGUID 

INNER JOIN 

tblContentLanguage AS tpl ON tpl.fkContentID=tp.pkID 

WHERE 

(tblContent.ArchiveContentGUID IN (SELECT PageGUID FROM @pages)) AND 

tpl.fkLanguageBranchID=tp.fkMasterLanguageBranchID AND 

tblContentLanguage.fkLanguageBranchID=tblContent.fkMasterLanguageBranchID 

But this never gives any results as if we zoom into this part:

INNER JOIN 

tblContent AS tp ON tblContent.ArchiveContentGUID=tp.ContentGUID 

Looking at the actual values for all ArchiveContentGUID in the table they are all NULL and ContentGUID is never NULL. So, the join will as I understand sql queries :-p never return any results. 

Ialso if we follow what happens after the application recieves the request

POST https://*host*/EPiServer/cms/Stores/contentversion/   

(And possibly the other frontend requests mentioned above, have not checked) 

We see that an massive amounts of requests to the database are performed but also stuck in between all those request are requests to epifind in sequence so that all in all it takes a superlong time to respond to the frontend

Anyone knows what is going on?  

Nov 30, 2021 17:06
Vote:

Nov 30, 2021 17:07
Vote:

What version are you running? Latest CMS 11 update?

I remember a bug related to performance on content items with XhtmlString properties, but that is fixed now...

Nov 30, 2021 20:23
Vote:

Thanks for input Tomas, I got this number; 11.20.7.0

Have to research further to see if this number tells me if we are running the latest CMS 11 update :-) 

Dec 01, 2021 7:18
Vote:

The latest update of CMS 11 is 11.20.10.0 - so you are not. I'm still not able to locate the bug that was fixed, but upgrading to 11.20.10.0 shouldn't be a big deal.

Dec 01, 2021 9:04
Vote:

I would run SQL Profiler with duration tracing to see more details from the db and also the actual parameter values.

Get a developer to set up the site with a production db backup if hard to accomplish in Azure.

Combine that investigation with running for example dotTrace and see what is revealed there.

Other things to try could be temporarily disabling event based Find indexing and see if Edit Mode works better then, check if the Queue table for indexing has a massive amount of rows, remove the suspicious blocks and add new "replacement" blocks from scratch or clear ContentArea fields in blocks or pages that seem to be involved.

You could also look around for reporting code that analyzes content for suspicous content area data and other broken references - things that can escape caching and cause db roundtrips every request.

Dec 01, 2021 22:41
Vote:

Hi Marcus,

Please reach out to developer support service. this type of issue is best to investigate if we can take a closer look at your databases. 

Dec 02, 2021 12:41
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.