Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Get filename using Unified filesystem

Vote:

Hi. I am using unified file system in a solution we have developed for a customer. In the solution we use a third party vendor called fastsend to transfer files stored in unified file system and fastsend requires the physical path to the file. But when using unified file system the filename is being altered into letters and numbers, so the actual file name is not being used. Is there any way that I can use unified file system and still have the file saved by its original name? We now use VersioningFileSystem. Can this matter be solved by changing to NativeFileSystem? We have uploaded a large amount of files to our file system. Will this alternation require that we upload all the files again? Any help will be deeply appreciated!! BR, Tore
Jan 09, 2007 11:44
Vote:

How is this different from the discussion in this thread: http://www.episerver.com/devforum/ShowTopic.aspx?id=9939&epslanguage=EN ? /Steve
Jan 09, 2007 12:51
Vote:

Hi Steve. Wrong heading for this discussion maybe. And maybe it was not a good explanation of the problem. The other discussion you helped me retrieve the physical path where the file is stored. But this gives me this path: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot_jotulextra\\docrepository\a\e\ae0fa185-af3e-4db6-a1cc-d1e75cac5365.ai and this filename is not the original filename of the file. The original filename is Atraline_BW_Black.ai and this is the filename i want to get a hold of when sending the file. Is there a way to get Unified File System to store the files with its original filename? And not with the ae0fa185-af3e-4db6-a1cc-d1e75cac5365.ai? What will happen with all the files that are stored this way if we change it? BR, Tore
Jan 09, 2007 13:25
Vote:

The name you're seeing is only the physical name of the file, which has to be unique because it is in a versioned file system. The user will always see the "real" name (Atraline...) If you want it stored with the real name, you cannot use the versioned file system. The native one will do this for you. Another option is to see if fastsend can send the file, but have it represented with another name than the physical one. Have no experience with fastsend, so I don't know if that is possible. /Steve
Jan 09, 2007 14:05
Vote:

Hi Steve. Thanks for your answer. What do i have to do to use the native file system? There is unfortunately no way to change the filename in fastsend before it is sent. And what will happen with files that are already stored in the versioned file system if i switch to the native file system? Will they be possible to use? BR, Tore
Jan 09, 2007 15:43
Vote:

Please read the Unified File System technote/whitepaper on how to configure a new native file system. In theory, copy all the files (using the same file structure) into a new native file system, and then rename the paths in the config file afterwards to have the universe restored to normal. Better, remove the versioned file system when you've moved all the files out of it, as you should have no use for it anymore. Alternatively, using the versioned file system, before sending the file, copy it to another location (e.g. /util/temp) and send it from there. /Steve
Jan 09, 2007 17:51
Vote:

Hi Steve. We thought about the copying the file to the temporary folder, so have to see what solution we will go for. By using the native file system, is it still possible to sett the access right to files and folders? BR, Tore
Jan 12, 2007 16:02
Vote:

Yes, you can still set access rights, but only on the "virtual ones", those that have it's root outside of the site structure. As an example, in the sample web-site, the upload directory is a native file system, but as it is located directly below the site root, IIS will happily hand you any of the files in there, disregarding the EPiServer security checks. If you move the /upload directory somewhere else (outside of the site directory tree) and configure it as a virtual native file system, still using the /upload path, everything will work as before, and you can now use access rights on the files, as all access is routed through EPiServer before the file is sent to the client. /Steve
Jan 13, 2007 11:05
Vote:

Hi Steve. It works great!! Thanks for all the help! BR, Tore
Jan 15, 2007 16:16
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.