Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Login time

Vote:

Hi everyone,

Im  having trouble getting the "Enable automatic logon to this Web site" to work properly.

We are using forms authentication and I set the timeout property of the forms element in web.config to 100000000.This set the cookie expiration to the year 2199 if you check the "automatic logon" when you sign in.

Thats all well and good but the problem is that now noone seems to get logged out. If you havent checked "automatic logon" the expiration time will be "session".

I have tried seting the sessionState timeout to 1 minute, both in the web.config and the IIS but it wont work.

What am I doing wrong? I would be very happy if someone could point me in the right direction.

Best regards

Martin

Oct 14, 2009 17:37
Vote:

EPiServer is using standard ASP.NET functionality so you can read more about authentication, authorization and membership providers it in any ASP.NET book or forum.

EPiServer is using the standard Login Web Control included in the ASP.NET Framework (with a few rendering adaptations).

The remeber me check box controls the second parameter toFormsAuthentication.SetAuthCookie(string userName, bool createPersistentCookie) and that will change control if the cookie is set with an expiration time or not. If you do not send expiration time for a cookie it is called a session cookie that is cleared when you close shutdown your browser.

The only way to make all existing authentication cookies you have issued with long lifetime invalid is to change name of the authentication cookie or change you machinekey used for encrypting the ticket.

To log out a single user, use FormsAuthentication.SignOut() method to clear the cookie.

Do not confuse session cookies with the ASP.NET Session - both are using cookies but that is all they have in common.

I recommend that you set a machinekey in your web.config if you want a long lifetime of your authentication cookies. Personally I prefere a timeout that is a couple of weeks/months and using sliding expiration to extend the lifetime when people visit the site.

Oct 18, 2009 22:09
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.