Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

A globalization issue

Vote:

Hi,

Perhaps this is not the most appropriate section to post it in, maybe it should go under "Administration" or something, but I thought since the site is in the developing state I thought I'd give it a go.

I've never worked in globalized sites before and I've got a question concerning the article/news-section of the page. The branches in our site will not contain the same articles/news in all the four languages but as it is right now the articles show in the other languages, but in italics since they're not translated and won't be either. So, is there a way to not make the new article/news-pages show in all the languages and instead just show in that particular branch for that specific language? To this date we have ~2000 articles/news all together that we will migrate into this new site and it will be a bit hard to navigate if all they are all showing in all languages.

Best regards

Nov 16, 2009 14:01
Vote:

Hi Peter,

Have you tried looking at your Language Settings for the pages you don't want to display in a certain language?

If your articles are in a parent page, such as "News", and then you have all your child pages underneath the branch "News", then you can right-click on the News page > go to Language Settings > Available languages > Change. Uncheck all the languages you don't want available for these pages.

Then if all the child pages under News have "Inherit settings from the parent page" checked then you should be all set.

Best,
Christine

Nov 16, 2009 17:12
Vote:

Christine,

I've tried doing this but when i click the "News" branch the setting changes for all the languages. For example; I go to the swedish branch and make sure that only swedish is checked and hit save. If I then look in the norwegian branch there is swedish checked here as well. If I uncheck swedish and check norwegian the setting is set to norwegian in the swedish branch as well.

Have I missed a checkbox somewhere?

Best regards

Nov 16, 2009 18:28
Vote:

This is correct.

If you want to make "News" only available in Swedish when you are in the Swedish language website, then you only check Swedish in Available languages. Yes, it will display like this across all languages in your Language Settings page, but it will not display on the actual website pages (not in edit or admin mode).

So, if you go to the swedish branch, and only check swedish and hit save. Then go to your actual swedish website (not edit or admin mode) to verify that the pages are there. If this is correct, then go to the nowegian website, and verify that the pages do NOT display. They should not display. It will still have only swedish checked in Available languages because this is what you want. You only want News to be available in Swedish. It does not matter which language setting you are viewing this from. When the page is italics, it means the page is not available for that language. You will still see it in the branch, but it will not be available/not display on the actual website for this language.

Does that make sense?

Nov 16, 2009 18:44
Vote:

Christine,

I realize now that I was a bit vague in my description. Like you said, the solution you gave me works. But this was not what I wanted to do. I'll try again:

We use the News-pages on all four languages but the news that are posted in Sweden should not be visible in Norway. Simply not just creating that news page in the norwegian branch will not show the news and everything is like it should be. However, when we've migrated all of our existing content to this new site there will be around ~2000 articles divided about equally over the four languages. This will in my opinion make the navigation in edit mode very hard since I under each news branch in every language will have about 2000 pages while 3/4 of them will be in italics and not used in that particular language. These are the pages that I want to hide, all the italic-pages under the news branch so that. I guessit's sort of like deglobalizing the news branch.  Is that possible?

Nov 17, 2009 8:39
Vote:

As far as I know, there is no way to hide this. It is unfortunate. If you hide these pages using access rights, then it will be across all languages. This would not be reasonable.

Sorry I could not be more help. What we have done with our site is organized it by year. So atleast the news articles are sorted by year and you can keep that branch closed.

Nov 17, 2009 13:35
Vote:

That's also an idea. I'll have to check if this can be an alternative on this site. I don't think it will, but that's atleast one step closer to a cleaner news-branch. Like you said, it's unfortunate that there is no solution at this point.

Thanks for all your help, Christine!

Nov 17, 2009 14:16
Vote:

I'm not an EPi user yet, so I may be off on this one, but since the unused branches in each site are styled differently (in italics) then perhaps they are all of a particular class. If that class is unique to items that are unused in this menu, or if they reside in a container with a unique ID, then you could use CSS to hide them (display:none). That is assuming too, that you have access to the CSS for the UI.

Nov 17, 2009 16:28
Vote:

That's bot a bad idea, Bill. I'll have to look into that. I assume they use the same class all over the site though and this would hide the not-translated pages in the whole site but maybe there is a way to get around this.

Nov 18, 2009 9:06
Vote:

Hi Peter,

Look to see if there is a unique ID on the list, or the container for that list. That way you can use the cascade to target the class only to that container - CSS would look something like this:

#containerID .listItemClass {display:none;}

Good luck,

Bill

Nov 18, 2009 15:20
Vote:

I will give it a try in the last phase of the development.

Another way to do it would be to simply create four different news branches, one for each country and not translate them. I guess that would be the most simple way.

Nov 18, 2009 19:01
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.