Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

To detect language from browser settings automatically

Vote:

Hi all,

I have this urgent query to ask.

My requirement is:

I am using Epi_server CMS 5 R2. I am developing a website in 3 languages( en-GB, en, en-AU). Public users visiting the website should see the their language content page set up in their browser setting.  In other words, visitors should see their own localised page based on their browser settings. For this i have enabled the following property in the web.config to true

pageUseBrowserLanguagePreferences="true"  in the site settings. I know this can also be managed by the Admin Panel of the epi-server. I have changed the globalization culture, uiculture to auto as well in the web.config file.

<globalization culture="auto" uiCulture="auto" requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8" resourceProviderFactoryType="EPiServer.Resources.XmlResourceProviderFactory, EPiServer"/>

But still when i write my URL say  : http://localhost/myproject/ ,  it picks up the en-gb by default in the url, although i have changed my browser language to US by going into Tool - Language option.

Can anyone please suggest where i am doing wrong. Many thanks once again.

Feb 03, 2010 12:03
Vote:

Hi everyone,

If someone can reply me, I have found a little bit of my problem, but this will lead to me truly in a worst condition.

In episerver, I had to create 3 languages, UK, US and AU. I thought by default epi-server support US language i.e. en only is actually the en-US mode. So i left that one as it is and created en-GB and en-AU assuming en is US by default. Now when i select browser language option, Browser detects only en-US instead of en. Because browser table does not contain en only:(.  So only if i add explicitly now en-US as a language from episerver admin section, the browser detects the US versions pages. This will give me more troubles as Client already has created 1000 of pages in en mode assuming US version.

Please if some one can help me on this, Is there any work around on this. Can i use en  only for en-US now? Or anyother hints. Please help. I will be really thankful.

Feb 03, 2010 15:11
Vote:

Hi Jimmy

Have you read the Globalization technote?

Frederik

Feb 03, 2010 20:27
Vote:

And you can also change the language on all 1000 pages directly in the database quite easily if needed.

Feb 03, 2010 21:56
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.