Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Circular page references in CMS 5

Vote:

Hello,

I have encountered an error where there are pages that reference themselves, i.e. Page A gets its data from Page B, which in turn gets its data from Page A.

I first found this maybe two years ago when I migrated a web site from 4.62 (where this behavior is intercepted and cancelling the data gathering) to CMS 5 (where it is not, freezing the web server entirely) and didn't think much about it, since I thought this bug would get resolved by EPiServer soon enough. But now I found it again on CMS 5 R2 SP2, and that worries me a bit.

It is a potentially dangerous bug, where accessing parts of the site can freeze up the web server totally - and from a behavior that editors can create quite easily without thinking about it much. The error also requires a lot of subsequent logging and digging to find the root cause by web server techs.

My question is why the intercepting and breaking page circular reference behavior was removed from EPiServer 4.x? Is it a configurational issue in CMS 5? If not, will it be fixed in CMS 6? Surely this must have been reported as a bug before?

Regards,
/Marten

Mar 15, 2010 10:26
Vote:

Registered as a bug

#40595 Circular page data retrieval can crash webserver!

Didn't seem to make it to the release of CMS 6.

Mar 29, 2010 11:08
Vote:

If you want, it is rether simple to create a fix that intercepts and check this before save in the EditPanel by hooking the static PageLoaded event.

Mar 29, 2010 11:41
Vote:

True Fredrik, I might just do that until this has been solved

I do feel it is imperative that EPiServer in the end corrects this behavior internally.

Mar 29, 2010 11:47
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.