EPiServer newbie, so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I have EPiServer running locally. I can log in to the admin back end just fine, using AD credentials.
I have a "deployment" region that uses the same EPiServer database, but sits on a different machine. From that region, the site "loads" ok, but I am unable to log in (from the "login.aspx" page). It doesn't error, or give any message at all. The page just returns back to the same login form with no message. If I put in an invalid userid/pass, I get an appropriate message... but for valid user/pass, I'm just returned back to the login form.
I'm not sure if this is a siteid issue? Something with sharing a database between multiple regions?
I should add that *others* are able to log in to the deployment region, just not myself. I can't help but think this is because I've logged in to my local region (localhost) previously? I've tried using alternate browsers to rule out cookies issues/etc.
When you don't get any error messages when you log in, it means you are authenticated, but not authorized - it means that your user does exist for EPiServer, but doesn't have the permissions to access edit/admin mode, probably due to AD settings on deploy server for your user.
If I understood correctly, you are sharing the database locally and on your deployment server? In this case, you can create a user locally from admin mode (this will create a user in DB using SqlMembershipProvider). Add this user WebEditors and WebAdmins role. If the DB is the same, you should be able to log in from the other machine. (Check what your MembershipProvider settings are in web.config file, if you haven't changed anything, you should be using a MultiplexingMembershipProvider, so this should work).
Hope this helps you.
Thank you for your help in this. I was not using the MultiplexingProvider, but just the WindowsMembershipProvider. As you suggested, the issue was that I was in the admin group on my localhost, but not for the remote box. For now, I seem to have resolved the issue by authorizing a group that all content editors should be a part of in web.config, then granting access rights for the AD group:
<allowroles="WebEditors, WebAdmins, Administrators, MyDomain\MyGroup" />