Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

override/extend classes from episerver libraries

Vote:

Does anyone have experience with overriding classes from episerver dll?

I have created a custom class with the same name as the original (from episerver.UI.dll) in my local namespace, starting from the exact same definition of the original class, and only making a very minor change in a method to fit the purpose of my requirements.

Having identified that this class is connected to the aspx found in my Episerver file structure from my local system in ProgramFiles
(e.g. CMS\6.1.379.0\Application\UI\CMS\Edit),
I modified the aspx to point his code behind and inherit clauses to my local class. How can I tell if there are any other dependencies on the original class in other dlls, for example.
Is this documented somewhere?

What are some precautions to take or general recommendations to ensure success when overriding episerver libraries? And what is an excellent decompiler? Telerik decompilers some bits poorly. Thanks.

May 25, 2016 13:21
Vote:

I would try to avoid your approach. v6.1 of course was not ideal candidate for customization as lot of stuff was still static, not inheritable and not customized. hacking built-in aspx files is risky as you are locking yourself down to that particular modified version and upgrade path is close to impossible.

What is exactly goal you are trying to achieve? What you need to override?

Usually - when I need to see where particular class is used - I ask R# "Find all usages".

When it comes to decompilers - dotPeek from Jetbrains (R# developers) works prefectly for me.

May 25, 2016 23:44
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.