Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

How do I tell my site to ignore hits to dead links?

Vote:

My site, WWW.misoenergy.org, is plagued by hits to the OLD URLs before we switched to Episerver. 

People wrote scripts, which for whatever reason they've never turned off that hit our hit day and night.

I know that exceptions and tracks down to controllers are SLOW actions. How do I tell my site to JUST IGNORE any request to those URLs? 

I don't want to redirect, just tell them to go away.

Apr 24, 2020 17:59
Vote:

If you can derive a single pattern from those URLs, you could just add an IIS rewrite rule in the web.config file. This will reject the request before reaching the Episerver routing engine.

Something like this sample. Basically you match the subfolder path and apply the AbortRequest action. If you want to send a 410 Gone status, instead of just closing the connection, you can also change the rule to do just that.

Apr 25, 2020 6:49
Vote:

I know you said you want to ignore redirects but I would add them in for SEO. Without needing to do config the best option is https://github.com/Geta/404handler which allows CMS redirects. I'd suggest to redirecting them to a friendly content message or the home page if you don't have a page to redirect to.

Apr 27, 2020 8:36
Vote:

These are both excellent suggestions!

I like the add-on because it is so configurable. But, I don't want to add any overhead to my servers for these requests. Most of the requests are coming from old scripts that people never stopped against our old site. So I want to just ignore them with as LITTLE processing power as possible.

I think I will try the Add-on in my CI env soon.

Apr 27, 2020 13:34
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.