Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Simple URL like functionality

Vote:

Hello,

In EpiServer when we configure a Simple URL, the page gets routed to the actual file and also in browser we see the Simple URL.

For some reason, I am need of creating something similar to Simple URL but when users click on that link the browser url should still be the original (as in whatever the default URL would have been)

How do I create such redirection.

May 26, 2020 22:13
Vote:

Hi Dileep,

I never tried this but what happened when you set the simple address as well as shortcut in setting tab both at the same time.

Like -

Simpleaddress - campaign

Shortcut - /home/def

May 27, 2020 0:19
Vote:

URLs and shortcuts and simple URLs - it's all very confusing...

https://blog.novacare.no/content-url-with-or-without-shortcut/

Maybe I am easily confused, I didn't quite get what you are trying to accomplish. Could you provide an example?

May 27, 2020 12:53
Vote:

So here is an example of what I am trying to achieve.

If I have a page (say: hostname/category/news/2020/article) which will be shown in browser once I visit the page. If I add a simple url on this page say (hostname/news/share/contentId) then this is what I will see in browser and original link will not work anymore.

I need to create a link in the format mentioned above (similiar to simple url) but when users visit the link or click on it, browser should display the original default url (as if no simple url were configured i.e., hostname/category/news/2020/article)

From the article Tomas shared, I see the link url which is /link/ContentGUID.aspx which you click and it takes you to original url. I need to create something like this which I can use while sharing page links to external users. For some reason our client needs url in more friendly readable format when sharing the links but are not willing to use simple url as they want to keep original url in browser.

May 27, 2020 14:47
Vote:

Maybe a bit hacky, but you could create a new page that has the URL you want (in a more readable/friendly format) - choose all properties view, settings, shortcut, shortcut to another content item. Select the original page (say: hostname/category/news/2020/article) as target for your shortcut.

Shere the link to the first page, it will redirect the visitors to the original page. They will no longer see the friendly URL.

May 28, 2020 5:03
Vote:

Thanks for the info but I have numerous articles which users can just share so this solution is out but am going to convince them to use the linkurl property for this purpose until I can think of an approach.

May 28, 2020 19:20
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.