Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Web site project model - gui plugins

Vote:

I have spent a long time trying to set up my episerver development solution as a 'web site' in Visual studio. It seemed like I got it working perfectly, except now I have discovered that there is a problem with my gui plugins which do not show up in EPiServer's admin mode. According to this:
http://sdk.episerver.com/library/cms5/html/T_EPiServer_PlugIn_PlugInAttribute.htm
it seems it will never be possible to use gui plugins with the web site project model? (because the web site project model does not compile the plugin class you create into the bin directory)
Or is it somehow possible?
If not, you can consider this a warning! (in case you are also considering converting to the web site project model)
Jun 09, 2008 14:51
Vote:

Noone has a solution? This is extremely disappointing to me because using the web site model would have made my life a lot easier..
Jun 11, 2008 10:22
Vote:

There's all sorts of fun to try and use the web site model. Many have tried and most have failed :) You may get some things working but plugins might not. See:

Fredrick Tjarnberg's blog post

I might be wrong, but as I understand it the reason for plugins being a problem is because when EPiServer starts it uses reflection to check the assemblies in the BIN folder to look for classes marked with the plugin attribute (or inheriting from the plugin base class). With a web site project, you cannot control the method or deployment of the assemblies and so you have no way of knowing if EPiServer will find them to iterate them in its plugin search.

Another option might be to develop your plugin in a separate assembly and deploy that but keep the rest of your website as the web site project model.

- Dan

Edited, Jun 11, 2008 16:58
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.