Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Missing "View on website" link

Vote:

Hi,

When I try to edit any of the Catalog content pages (such as Product or Category), I miss the "View on website" link under Options.

I have ContentControllers registered for these content pages.

What's required for that link to show?

Aug 18, 2022 9:50
Vote:

It does work for me correctly on a Foundation site -- maybe compare against that? Probably starting around here: https://github.com/episerver/Foundation/tree/main/src/Foundation/Features/CatalogContent

Aug 18, 2022 14:16
Vote:

Thank you for the answer, Daniel.

That's a nice suggestion. However, I'm working on the currently-built project, so it's not being written from scratch now.

I was wondering: what are the prerequisites for that link to appear but I haven't found anything in the Episerver code so far.

Aug 19, 2022 8:27
Vote:

This has been resolved in a following way:

Sep 07, 2022 8:20
Vote:

Hi Dariusz, I am seeing the same issue while upgrading a codebase to commerce 14. Do you have a summary of the blog post you've linked at all? The link is throwing a 500 for me

Feb 16, 2023 11:24
Vote:

Dave, the content of the page was (found via Google cache) - hope that helps.

Showing the "View on website" link in the Episerver Options menu for content without a template

You've maybe noticed already that if you're editing content in Episerver that doesn't have a template (amongst other things) then the "View on website" option is hidden. Most of the time this isn't a hassle and is in fact exactly what you want  but other times it would be really convenient to show that link.

For instance, I've see complex catalog hierarchies where neither products nor variants have templates, meaning editors always have to keep traversing up the catalog to find something they can view easily.

Take the Episerver Quicksilver reference site as an example, variants are shown on products so don't have a template. As such, if I drop down the options menu I see:

[missing screen]

Pretty trivial honestly but wouldn't it be nicer if I could see the link and the variant URL?

[missing screen]

This can be achieved really easily, all you have to do is create an IModelTransform (EPiServer.Cms.Shell.UI­.Rest.Models.Transforms) implementation, here is an example using Quicksilver (in this case we implement the TransformBase<T> abstract class which implements IModelTransform):

[ServiceConfiguration(typeof(IModelTransform), Lifecycle = ServiceInstanceScope.Singleton)]
public class VariantContentDataModelBaseTransform : TransformBase<ContentDataStoreModelBase>
{
    public override TransformOrder Order => TransformOrder.TransformEnd;

protected override bool ShouldTransformInstance(IModelTransformContext context)
    {
        return context.Source is VariationContent;
    }

public override void TransformInstance(IContent source, ContentDataStoreModelBase target,
        IModelTransformContext context)
    {
        var variant = source as VariationContent;

if (variant == null)
        {
            return;
        }

// Set the public URL as required
        target.PublicUrl = variant.GetUrl();
    }
}

Just a word on what happens here:

When the data is requested from the content data REST store the IContentStoreModelCreator (EPiServer.Cms.Shell.UI.Rest) is used to create the model. This in turn gets all the registered IModelTransform implementations, verifies they can be executed (by the type) orders them and then calls the Execute method (which in the TransformBase<T> implementation calls TransformInstance).

With that in mind, you can see what we're doing is simple. This just registers a transform that should be applied at the end of the sequence (TransformOrder.TransformEnd) and sets the public URL for the variant to an actual URL (using an extension method in Quicksilver).

This is admittedly a nice easy example  but you could use it to do something cooler — like thumbnails for blocks.

Have fun!

Edited, Feb 17, 2023 12:41
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.