Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Episerver Forms fails to load


After upgrading to CMS 11.11.2 we run into an exception on startup:

Did not find a module by assembly 'EPiServer.Forms.Core, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8fe83dea738b45b7'

Looking at the stack trace, it seems it's trying to find a module based on the EPiServer.Forms.Core assembly in:

EPiServer.Shell.Paths.ToClientResource(Assembly moduleAssembly, String moduleRelativeClientResourcePath)

This seems odd to me, I figured the only modules that should be loaded are EPiServer.Forms and EPiServer.Forms.UI?

Here is the <> element in web.config:

    <publicModules rootPath="~/modules/">
    <protectedModules rootPath="~/EPiServer/">
      <add name="Shell" />
      <add name="CMS" />
      <add name="EPiServer.Forms.UI" />
      <add name="EPiServer.Forms" />

I've also tried adding autoDiscovery="Modules" to the <protectedModules> element, but that doesn't make any difference.

bin folder contains:

  • EPiServer.Forms.dll
  • EPiServer.Forms.Core.dll
  • EPiServer.Forms.UI.dll

In desperation I've tried switching on/off the forced bin folder scan: <scanAssembly forceBinFolderScan="true" />, to no avail.

Looking at the logs, other modules seem to be loading fine.

I know there are other seemingly similar problems out there, but as far as I can tell they don't apply here.

Edited, Feb 27, 2019 14:42

I'll just answer this myself, as deleting the question would be a coward move... :D

module.config for the EPiServer.Forms.UI module isn't included in the ZIP, but rather exists next to it on disk. For some reason, it wasn't included in deployment, meaning the mapping between the EPiServer.Forms.Core assembly and the module wasn't in place. Deploying module.config fixed the problem... Doh.

Feb 27, 2019 16:15
Tony Hietapakka - Jan 05, 2022 14:05
Thanks for not deleting the question/answer.
Had similar issue when updating to latest version av Episerver 11. Your post made me notice the missing module.config file on server, which locally exists in same folder as the ZIP (next to it on disk). I had to set this config-file (and som others in the _protected folder) as Content to "make it fly" again. :)
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.