Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour today (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

404 error on new install

Vote:

Hi there,

Just installed EPiServer 7 - a fresh install on my Windows 7 box (64bit).  The installation proceeded without any errors.  I then created a new EPiServer 7 website, choosing to install the Alloy templates as well.  

The website is created without any errors reported, but as soon as I try and access it I get the following:

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly. 

Requested URL: /.aspx

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.17929

No other configuration changes made.  I am thinking that either there is an assumed system configuration setting which my PC does not have, or the automatic installation routine has a bug in it somewhere.

I would appreciate any advice!

Many thanks,

Wayne

Nov 30, 2012 11:03
Vote:

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated?  I have re-installed several times and I get the same result.  No errors are reported during installation.  Most of my searches around this problem seem to come down to wildcard mappings in IIS, but as this is IIS 7.5 with an integrated pipeline I don't think that can be the problem.

I get the same error even with a blank EPiServer site (i.e. before installing the Alloy site).  I still suspect the issue may be some kind of rogue configuration on my PC.  Nothing useful in the Windows Event Log and EPiServer is not logging any errors either.

Wayne

Dec 10, 2012 15:50
Vote:

The requested URL: /.aspx is very odd. How are you trying to browse the site? From visual studio? Do you see this strange path in the browser address field?

What happens if you use deployment center to install a new episerver site instead, is it browseable?

Dec 10, 2012 16:40
Vote:

I get the error if I browse directly to the site in Chrome (localhost:17000) or if I try and run the site in visual studio 2012.  I see no strange path in the URL.  If I try to log into EPiServer I can (via /cms/UI/ which I setup on installing the site) and I can appear to log in, but once logged in I get the error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly. 

Requested URL: /cms/UI/.aspx

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.17929

The sites were installed using deployment centre.  I get the same error on a new (empty) site.

Dec 10, 2012 16:43
Vote:

FYI - System is:

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit

SQL Express 2008

IIS (I have IIS 6 compatibility installed)

Dec 10, 2012 16:46
Vote:

You could try to reinstall asp.net. Had problem with this today with a 404 on aspx pages. Running the aspnet_regiis -iru had great impact on my machine. Run this command in c:\windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v4....\

Think this error will appear if you install the iis after you have installed .net.

Dec 10, 2012 16:50
Vote:

Exactly what I was going to suggest. I think your asp.net installation was corrupted somehow. If you have no luck with the -iru options you could throw in an extra -enable option as well.

Dec 10, 2012 16:52
Vote:

I will give it a whirl...

Dec 10, 2012 17:02
Vote:

I'm afraid neither of those has had any effect.  I also ran the tool in the Framework64 folder.

Dec 10, 2012 17:06
Vote:

I am going to try the install on a blank Windows 2008 VM to see what difference that makes.  I suspect something is broken with my system but I don't want to go to the length of flattening it and rebuilding it unless I have to.

Many thanks,

Wayne

Dec 10, 2012 17:28
Vote:

Okay - it is definitely system level as I get the same error with a blank ASP.NET application created in visual studio.

Time for a rebuild...

Dec 10, 2012 17:37
Vote:

When I install a new machins I usually use the Web Platform Installer from Microsoft. You get all the tools you need and configurations, you find it at microsoft.com/web.

I wrote a blogpost a year ago. Bit old but might give you some advice. But what i can tell you have installed IIS and ASP.Net wrong. Make sure you install correct features for IIS as well. You will find most of them in Programs And Features / Windows Components...

Good Luck

Dec 10, 2012 20:07
Vote:

Found out the problem.  I had ISAPI_ReWrite 3.0 Lite installed in IIS and a rogue rule was causing issues with site.  Turned off the rules and it sprang into life.

Obvious when you think about it, but I have had it installed for so long I forgot it was there.

Many thanks for your help and advice.

Dec 11, 2012 10:37
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.