Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Pages gone in other languages

Vote:

I'm currently developing a site with multilanguage (sv and en). Pages that are published in only one language usually has a notice about that. For example; if i currently editing in swedish and one page is only published in english, this one is marked with "en" in pagetree. This works fine in some part of the structure, but in some other parts, these kind of pages are totally gone. So i don't have a chance to create a swedish version. What to do?

Dec 17, 2012 12:08
Vote:

If you check the language settings for the page. Is swedish activated for the parts where you aren't allowed to create the version?

Dec 17, 2012 12:49
Vote:

Yes, both english and swedish are activated in the page's lang-settings. All pages inherit lang-settings from root. I really can't see any connection between the messed up pages, and the correct pages. Lang-settings are the same for every page.

Or is there any settings that I've missed, I'm going to forms-mode (when editing a page) -> tools -> Languagesettings

Dec 17, 2012 13:18
Vote:

Just discovered another thing. Under the "sites" tab in edit mode, I've only got one language (swedish) below my site. Both English and Swedish are enabled in "Manage Website Languages" in admin.

Dec 17, 2012 13:27
Vote:

hmm ok. Do you have 

Dec 17, 2012 13:46
Vote:

Yes, it is enabled.

Dec 17, 2012 13:49
Vote:

Have you made changes in the language columns directly in the database?

Dec 17, 2012 17:06
Vote:

No, haven't made any changes in the database. But I actually got a kind of strange solution for this. I went to langsettings for the root-page -> Replacement languages. There i selected both English -> Swedish and Swedish -> English and the missing pages suddenly appeared. I translated and published one of the pages, then removed the lang-settings i made. And the pages are still there, so that solved the problem for now.

But I'm still confused here, as i told you before, below the "sites" tab I can only see "Swedish", if I chose "Display all languages" at the bottom, the english is disabled with the label: "The language is enabled, but not available on this site."

Dec 18, 2012 14:08
Vote:

EPiServer CMS 7 works diffrently than earlier versions when a page language is missing.

If you look at the page tree pane, there is a small cog wheel for settings in the bottom corner. Open the meny and select "Show all languages" and you will see the masterlanguage version of pages that are not yet translated.

Minus 1 point to the UX team for this. :(

Dec 18, 2012 14:50
Vote:

I was experiencing same issues as you Calle. I absolutely agree with Fredrik on this one, not a good solution!

Dec 18, 2012 15:15
Vote:

Oh, that make sense, I thougt that option had exactly the same function as under the tab "Sites" wher all languages are listed.

Also agree with you here, UX could be better regarding all language-handling.

Dec 18, 2012 15:19
Vote:

Thanks for the feedback. Here's what we were thinking;

Editors work in a site every day for years on end. It's not uncommon for structures to diverge over time, meaning that many editors see a large number of pages in their tree that they should never ever work with. By hiding them from view, we reduce the static in their trees significantly. When they need to translate a page, they can show these pages temporarily, which is another thing that happens infrequently compared to editing exisitng pages.

It's also easy to see why a developer would like to be able to see those pages all the time, which is why the "show other languages" options should be sticky between sessions. Unfortunately, it's not sticky atm. So we'll take a -1 on UX for that and try to remedy that instead :)

Dec 18, 2012 15:47
Vote:

@Jonas: 

I do agree that a button to filter out pages that does not exist in the current language is an improvment. It should probably be sticky between sessions and be easier to find as you suggest. I would seriously consider having all pages visible being the default. At least when it is an upgraded site.

It is not only developer that needs this see the whole page tree. Many editors work with translation and several languages and the old way to quickly swap language with a drop down, compare lanugage versions of a page is something I really do not understand how I can accomplish in the new user interface. I have to switch back to legacy mode to be able to solve these tasks. 

You also forgot a button for deleting a language version as far as I can see. Add that to the backlog if its not already there... 

What will happen when you have diffrent language settings on diffrent parts of the page tree? When you have a page tree outside the start page with diffrent lanugages than is enabled for the start site in a multi site environment?

Dec 18, 2012 16:22
Vote:

"You also forgot a button for deleting a language version as far as I can see. Add that to the backlog if its not already there... "

+1 for that request. Or can that be solved in another way today?

Jan 24, 2013 12:21
Vote:

Not sure what you mean with "Delete language version". There is already support to delete a given version in the versions gadget. My guess is that you are missing the "delete language" that was previously available for an item in the right click menu of the page tree. This functionality will be available in the Sparrowhawk 7.1 upgrade that will be released in Q1 this year.

Jan 24, 2013 13:57
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.