Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Running CMS 6 and 7 side-by-side in a production - Safe?

Vote:

Hi!

I've noticed that new installation instructions specify that it is not supported. Yet we have been successfully running our dev environments side-by-side for ages (well, since CMS 7 preview times). So I would like to know does running side-by-side actually posses risks, or is this just a disclaimer because everyone hates legacy?

Mar 13, 2013 15:04
Vote:

Mar 13, 2013 15:15
Vote:

Hi,

I did feel the pain, it took me a whole long day to find out that we should not run CMS6 and 7 side by side on production server. You will get alot of troubles (e.g: some modules wont work as it should, you will not access to cms-backend with 404 error... ) if you do that even in dev, test environments it works well. 

Mar 14, 2013 5:05
Vote:

Did you have correct assemblybindings in web.config for all environments? Dev, test and production environments should not be that different :)

Mar 14, 2013 11:08
Vote:

I asked this matter from Episerver support. In short, they replied that they do not know of any problems but have not fully tested the compatibility.

Mar 14, 2013 11:14
Vote:

Yes, the configuration files in all environments are identical. I have the site works properly on dev, daily, test environments but when deploy it to staging and production lots of headaches came.  I found that even in dev environments if you have cms6 and 7 side by side sometimes you will get the described issues but rarely, and iisreset solved the problem but it wont work out on staging and production and I dont know why :).

Edited, Mar 15, 2013 4:10
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.