Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Best practice for translation of static texts on multi-language sites

Vote:

Hi,

I am developing a multi-language site, and have a relatively simple question.

In the design of the site, there are different static elements that occur on many pages (e.g. a search field with a search button).

Of course the text of this button must be translated to match the sites current language. But since it is not related to a specific page, it seems counter intuitive for me to put it as a property on the root node, and load it from there (potentially there could be a lot of these texts around the website).

Is there another way to make a simple dictionary of strings that can be translated by the users of the CMS?

Rasmus

Apr 10, 2013 14:06
Vote:

1. Use the standard xml language files and provide the editors a way to edit these. There are some components built for that for older versions of the cms to start with that you can find here.

2. Provide a separate pagetype that contains the static strings as properties. This makes it possible for editors to edit it there. I wouldn't put it on root page since it's a lot of strings as you say. I would definitely not use dynamic properties.

3. Tell the customer that static strings is not possible to edit in a user friendly way since they are stored in xml files :)

I've used all 3 approaches and they all work pretty good. 

Apr 10, 2013 14:58
Vote:

Thanks for your feedback,

I think I'll go with your second approach. It seems like the best way in this particular project.

Rasmus

Apr 10, 2013 17:54
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.