Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Restart site after addon upgrade/install is not sufficient

Vote:

When I upgraded EPiServer UI to 7.1 on an empty site, a simple click on the "Restart site" was not enough. It gave me YSOD screen. When I restarted the apppool, the application went up again. 

Is this the recommended procedure?

The Restart Site button is still there after I press it and the page reloads so it seems that it doesn't have any effect.

Ps. I had the same issue when installing the ImageVault.AddOn.EPiCMS7 addon. It adds/removes item in the navigation toolbar and those changes aren't effective until a apppool restart. Ds.

May 23, 2013 11:38
Vote:

Hmmm... Restart site will actually touch web.config and that in turn will recycle the app pool. If you're in a dev env you need to make sure you have web.config checked out. But I think you will get an error unless it is writable... Strange.

May 23, 2013 15:42
Vote:

Restart button should restart the site (obviously) and it should be enough.

Could you provide more details from your YSOD screen? 

In addition you can enable Debug logging for add-on system by adding following logger and appender in your EPiServerLog.config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<log4net>
  <appender name="debugPackagingFileLogAppender" type="log4net.Appender.RollingFileAppender" >
    <file value="App_Data\EPiServer.Packaging.Debug.log" />
    <encoding value="utf-8" />
    <staticLogFileName value="true"/>
    <datePattern value=".yyyyMMdd.'log'" />
    <rollingStyle value="Date" />
    <threshold value="Debug" />
    <lockingModel type="log4net.Appender.FileAppender+MinimalLock" />
    <appendToFile value="true" />
    <layout type="log4net.Layout.PatternLayout">
      <conversionPattern value="%date [%thread] %level %logger: %message%n" />
    </layout>
  </appender>

<logger name="EPiServer.Packaging" additivity="false">
    <level value="Debug" />
    <appender-ref ref="debugPackagingFileLogAppender" />
  </logger>

</log4net>

Also you can use Firebug/Chrome dev tools to inspect network calls and get more information about failed requests if any.

May 24, 2013 11:57
Vote:

Ah, found the cause of the problem. The modify rights for the IIS_IUSRS group had been removed. Added Modify rights to the web.config file and it worked like a charm again.

Thanks for the hint :)

May 24, 2013 22:38
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.