Virtual Happy Hour this month, Jun 28, we'll be getting a sneak preview at our soon to launch SaaS CMS!

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Social Reach giving Access denied Error


We have installed Social Reach module to EpiServer 7. We have two user groups Administrators and Publishers. We created a facebook channel and given all permission to both the groups. When I login with Administrator and publish a message, it works fine. It publishes the message to facebook. But when I login with publisher and publish the message, it fails. It throws error "Failed starting workflow : Access denied". Can anyone please tell me where and which rights I need to give to the Publisher group?

May 08, 2013 9:21

Be sure that your user/group is granted access to the SocialFlow workflow (Admin - Workflows - SocialFlow (edit) - Security tab)

May 11, 2013 23:18

Hi Arild, Thanks for the reply

Unfortunately I don't see "Workflows" under Admin tab. I have logged in as Admin user. I am using EpiServer 7. Am I missing something?


Thank you

May 11, 2013 23:26

If your admin user belongs to the WebAdmins group, you should have access to Workflows in a default installation.

Are Workflows enabled in your web.config? Look for the sections described here:

If workflows are indeed enabled, maybe the Workflow menu option is disabled:
- Go to Admin mode > Config tab > Plug-in Manager.
- Click EPiServer User Interface > Overview tab.
- Scroll down and make sure "Workflows (AdminMenu)" is checked. 


May 12, 2013 1:50

Thank you again Arild. With your suggestions I am able to enable the Workflows menu and I see, the SocialFlow workflow. Now I am facing the next problem. I Went to Edit Workflow => Security tab=> Add User/Groups. I added a group and assigned some rights. Then I clicked Save button. Now the screen gets refreshed and the stayed back to General tab. The assigned rights are not saved. I tried several times but not able to save. What could be the problem?

May 13, 2013 8:50

You probably clicked the Save button on the bottom of the page, this will not save the new group rights correctly (bug perhaps).

There is another Save button directly below the "Add user/group" button, that will save your changes correctly.

Edited, May 13, 2013 9:54

oops, I did not see those buttons. Not it works fine. Thank you

May 22, 2013 15:31

Hi Anrid,

I have another problem, which was working earlier. In the social reach Settings, if I click "Edit account" for the twitter account, it opens a page and throws "Unauthorized exception" as below. Do you have any clue, what could be the problem? Thanks for your answers


Page could not be loaded 
The link you specified does not work. This may either be the result of temporary maintenance or an incorrect link. 
Detailed error information (authorized by permissions to functions)
Error occured 7/18/2013 4:48:57 PM 
User IP 
User Agent Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/6.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; NP06; BRI/2) 
Referer (none) 
The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized. Server Error in '/' Application.
The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized. 

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.  

Stack Trace: 

[WebException: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.]
   System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() +7866548
   DotNetOpenAuth.Messaging.StandardWebRequestHandler.GetResponse(HttpWebRequest request, DirectWebRequestOptions options) +261

[ProtocolException: Error occurred while sending a direct message or getting the response.]
   DotNetOpenAuth.Messaging.StandardWebRequestHandler.GetResponse(HttpWebRequest request, DirectWebRequestOptions options) +1838
   DotNetOpenAuth.Messaging.Channel.RequestCore(IDirectedProtocolMessage request) +200
   DotNetOpenAuth.Messaging.Channel.Request(IDirectedProtocolMessage requestMessage) +138
   DotNetOpenAuth.Messaging.Channel.Request(IDirectedProtocolMessage requestMessage) +45
   DotNetOpenAuth.OAuth.ConsumerBase.PrepareRequestUserAuthorization(Uri callback, IDictionary`2 requestParameters, IDictionary`2 redirectParameters, String& requestToken) +202
   DotNetOpenAuth.OAuth.WebConsumer.PrepareRequestUserAuthorization(Uri callback, IDictionary`2 requestParameters, IDictionary`2 redirectParameters) +28
   EPiServer.Social.Providers.TwitterLogin.OnInit(EventArgs e) +832
   System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +133
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1970



Jul 18, 2013 17:37

I believe it's because Social Reach used the old Twitter Api v1.0 which has been discontinued (see this thread). 

Also EPiServer 7.1 and newer includes an updated Social Reach plugin. Try upgrading your site to 7.1 or reinstalling Social Reach from the Add-On Store to see if that helps.



Jul 18, 2013 21:23
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.