Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Using blocks as containers

Vote:

Is it possible in EPiServer 7 to use blocks as containers? As in a a block that has no renderer just like a normal page container.

I have created a block in my site which inherits directly from EPiServer.Core.BlockData. There are no renderes at all for this block in my site.

To make sure of this, I have also changed my block preview page to be a rendered for a class above BlockData so that it should not be used for my 'container' block.

public partial class BlockPreview : PreviewPage, IRenderTemplate<SiteBlockBase>

Now in theory, there are no renders at all available for my block, however when viewing the block in EPiServer, the "Toggle preview" button is still available and on previewing, a error is thrown

Content with id '97_345' is of type 'Castle.Proxies.NewsBlockProxy' which does not inherit required type 'EPiServer.Core.PageData'

Is it possible to use blocks like this in EPiServer or should I continue using page containers to implement this type of functionality?

Thanks,

Adam

May 13, 2013 11:39
Vote:

Hi Adam,

Can what you're trying to achieve be achieved using a block which has a property of type ContentArea? Allowing you to place other blocks within the block and render them as you choose. Or perhaps the Block Folder more what you're going for?

I may be missing something but I think one or other of those solutions would suit your needs.

Cheers,

Kev

May 13, 2013 17:33
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.