Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Disable edit/admin UI on front servers

Vote:

I'm trying to remove the edit / admin interface on a public facing webserver but when I remove the virtualPathProviders as instructed in a few blog posts, I am presented the following error:
Could not find a part of the path '<SITEFOLDER>\ClientResources\ClientResources\packages.config'.

If I re-enable virtualPath="~/EPiServer/" it works. However, when doing this, if a user browses to /episerver/ they are redirected to /Util/login.aspx which presents a 404 (this is expected as the Util virtual path has been removed). I don't want the site to redirect, I would just want /episerver to give a 404.
How can I achieve this?

Aug 08, 2013 6:16
Vote:

I guess you get login screen because web.config still contains location directive for /EPiServer/ virtual path and it requires user to be in the specific roles, so user is redirected to login screen.

Try to remove location directive for your secret /EPiServer/ path in the web.config

Aug 19, 2013 10:59
Vote:

I also have the same question, How to completely disable the edit/admin ui.

If I remove all virtualPaths episerver complains about the ClientResources package.config not found.

I want everything related to editing/admin to be completely gone fron frontend nodes.

I have removed all virtualPaths and all location elements.

Adding back the virtualPath pointing to ~/secure surely cant be the solution!?

Feb 15, 2014 13:56
Vote:

I added an empty \ClientResources\ClientResources\packages.config file.

Doing that I can remove all virtualPaths and all location elements

Feb 15, 2014 15:56
Vote:

But doing that makes EPiServer always spit out css and javascript references to files that do not exist as well as producing javascript error related to QuickNavigator.

Yikes!

Feb 23, 2014 14:50
Vote:

Hi any progress on this matter?

I am facing the same problem here. 

Jun 25, 2014 10:34
Vote:

Edited, Jan 14, 2015 12:30
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.