Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Real-time Updates and reverse proxy (NetScaler)

Vote:

Hey,

My customer is getting errors for their browsers stating "A real-time connection could not be established with the server".

I am familiar with the fact that this is related to the NetScaler content switch / reverse proxy in the middle tier.

The high level scenario:

- Users access i.e www.webpage.com/episerver

- This URL is accessed via NetScaler VIP @ port 443 and forwarded to the internal web server @ port 80. SSL offload is done on the NetScaler VIP and from there on the traffic is unencrypted.

- Real-time update errors constantly pop-up for the users.

- I've tried skipping the proxy and connect straight from client -> server and there are no issues so the problem is the proxy as I could guess. We also had this issue before when we were using MS TMG 2010.

In NetScaler there is a support for WebSocket connections and this is enabled on the Load Balancing Virtual Server but according to the users the error is still present.

Has anyone successfully configured such a scenario using NetScaler? There is little information about this on the internet and EpiServer developer support was unable to help me with this. They were able to tell that WebSocket connections are supported in CMS 7 which is in use.

I read somewhere that if you create a SSL bridge connection this WebSocket + Proxy setup could work. I also read that the port cannot be different internally/externally. But there is really no documentation about this. Also the straight SSL bridge connection could be difficult to achieve in my case ( it would eat another public IP address and require DNS changes etc. which doesn't simply fit into the current architecture).

Appreciate your comments.

Jan 19, 2017 11:47
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.