Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Search/Indexing Configuration

Vote:

Hi,

Is there any documentation for configuring indexing to allow me to search documents using the SearchDataSource control?

I can't find any articles that detail how to go about setting this up and my search is therefore not returning files.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Robert

Nov 18, 2010 16:58
Vote:

You shouldn't have to set much up.  Make sure the EPiServer Indexing Service is running.  If it is, go check the service config to make sure it has the correct connection strings (it's in Program Files/EpiServer/Shared/Servers) in the config file.

In the SearchDataSource control, did you set "SearchFiles" to true?

Nov 18, 2010 17:03
Vote:

Thanks for the speedy response!

I checked the config file and it was set to the wrong paths and connection strings. I changed these and then restarted the service.

This seems to have created the indexes in the VPP folders but still no results.

I noticed that in the index folder for my Documents VPP folder there is only the segments file, while Global and PageFiles have *.cfs, segments and deletable files as well.

My SearchDataSource control has the SearchFiles property set to true and SearchLocations set to "~/Documents/".

Robert

Nov 18, 2010 17:20
Vote:

Does Documents have any files in it?  If not, then just having a segments file is probably right.  Upload a new file to it, and see if it creates any new files.

Nov 18, 2010 18:17
Vote:

Check out Mari Jørgensen's blog post about searching in files: http://labs.episerver.com/en/Blogs/Mari-Jorgensen/Dates/2009/11/Searching-for-files-in-EPiServer-CMS-5/

Also, depending on the type of files you want to search in (.docx, .pdf etc), you might need to install a filter pack. Mari's post has links to those.

Nov 19, 2010 9:32
Vote:

Thanks both, I've installed those filters now, everything else seems correctly configured. I have several documents uploaded.

When I check the Windows log file I find this error:

"EPiServer Indexing Service has problems indexing some of the locations, please consult the log file for details."

Do you know where the Indexing Service log file is kept?

Thanks,

Robert

Nov 19, 2010 10:38
Vote:

All working!

My problem was with my connection strings, they were pointing to the wrong SQL instance, amateur mistake!!

Robert

Nov 19, 2010 17:15
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.