Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

EPiServerVsIntegration cannot be installed

Vote:

Hi!

I'm new to EPiServer and VisualStudio, but .NET and C# is more familiar. I've tried a bunch of different ways to install EPiServer and integrate it with Visual Studio 2010/Visual Studio Web Developer Express but I get stuck every time on the integration part! The error message EPiServerVsIntegration gives me: "EPiServer CMS and Visual Studio 2008 or Visual Studio Web Developer Express 2008 must be install".

Does this mean that VS 2010 is out of the question? In that case - where can I get my hands on the 2008 suite?! All stores here in Sweden only seems to sell the latest version (i.e. 2010)... I can not find info on purchasing 2008 on microsoft.com either.

Or am I just not doing the installation correctly?

My installation steps:

1. Install SQL Server Express 2008 R2

2. Install Visual Studio 2010 or Visual Studio Web Developer Express 2010 (I've tried both of them)

3. Install EPiServer CMS 6.0.530

4. Install EPiServerVsIntegration

So, am I on thin ice with the 2010 edition or am I just not doing it right?

Best regards,

Björn

Aug 27, 2010 11:23
Vote:

VS 2010 integration is not officially supported yet, but you can check out this blog post by Paul Smith for information on how to get it to work without having VS 2008 installed. The comments also have valuable information.

Aug 27, 2010 12:39
Vote:

Thank you for your time, but I still don't have the "EPiServer"-option either under "New Web Project" nor "New Project" in VS 2010 :-( The templates doesn't show up on a search either.

I've done exactly as specified in the post and the last comment, even restarted the computer to "reload" the GAC, but to no end. This is getting ridiciolus :-)

Aug 27, 2010 14:34
Vote:

Yes, I've seen it - but it doesn't do it for me for some reason! Worst case scenario is that I dedicate the whole weekend to reinstalling everything on the computer. I would much rather be out drinking beer. :-)

Aug 27, 2010 15:15
Vote:

We had a bit of a headache getting it to work but it was just the other week so if you can explain what you do perhaps I can rememner something - it's still kinda fresh in memory.

I doubt that it hsa to do with VS 2010 express but you never know!

I think maybe we registered one of the dll's -  regsvr32 EPiServer.Design.dll or the actual EPiServerVsIntegration.dll, I can't remember.

Aug 27, 2010 15:23
Vote:

Well, worst case scenario, Visual Web Developer Express 2008 is still available here (under downloads). And you should never let EPiServer get in the way of beer ;-)

Edited, Aug 27, 2010 15:24
Vote:

Jørgen> OK, that would be worst case scenario ;-) getting stuck with Visual Web Developer Express.. ;-)

John> regsvr32 won't load any of the dll-s mentioned!

This is what I have done:

First I downloaded the zip-file containing the CMS 6 integration files, and copied the contents to my Visual Studio/Common7/IDE folder. Next I extracted the EPiServerVsIntegration.msi file and installed the EPiServer.VsIntegration.dll to the GAC (as admin). I didn't copy it to anywhere, only registered it to the GAC. I thought this was it, but still no EPiServer-templates in VS2010. So I also registered the EPiServer.Design.dll, from the integration files, to the GAC (as stated in that readme file). And now I'm stuck!

Appreciate all your help so far :-)

Aug 27, 2010 15:49
Vote:

I am having the same problem, but using Visual Web Developer 2008 express. I really do feel for you Bjorn.

Any suggestions on why i do not have the ability to create a new episerver project? It is just not listed.  I have 6.0.530.0 installed.

This is an absolute joke - wherever you look on net for 'creating new episerver project with visual studio' you might get something like "...go to new project, expand Visual C# and select 'episerver' and the 'episerver project' (like listed under episervers SDK)... that is the gist of it - no one ever mentions about "what if episerver is not listed for a new project, when you have the integration tool installed.

Jan 05, 2012 11:36
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.