Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Grouping Navigation Items

Vote:

Hi,

I need to build a navigation similar to the top bar on http://www.johnlewis.com/ 

This displays all child items when hovering over the main item and the child items are grouped by a sub heading. So far I can display the child items and specify the number of columns but I'm wondering what the best approach would be to apply the sub heading. I need the CMS users to be able to create/edit/delete the headings up to a maximum of 4 (for layout reasons) and then somehow assign each child page to one of the subheadings. Also, I would need to cater for the heading being changed/deleted and how this would affect the child page and probably need to group any child pages that do not have a sub heading association.

Has anyone done anything similar or have any ideas how this might be acheived from an EPiServer perspective?

As always any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Mark

Aug 25, 2010 17:03
Vote:

The subheadings would be pages with Shortcut set to "No link, only text."  So the other pages would be "under" those subheadings.

Look at memorex.com.  Their top-level headings are pages, but the shortcut is set to "No link," so you can't click on them.  They're just empty nodes for grouping, nothing else.

Aug 25, 2010 17:14
Vote:

Hi Deane,

Thanks for your answer and that's good to know. I'm not sure if this will work for my scenario as the top level navigation needs to be selectable then I need the headings then the child pages, also the heading needs to be optional.

In addition when selecting a top level navigation item a left hand navigation needs to be displayed with all the child items but without the subheadings.

Mark

Aug 31, 2010 13:09
Vote:

So why couldn't the second level be not selectable?  Just insert the "no link" pages wherever you need the headings.

Aug 31, 2010 15:32
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.