Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour today (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Access Rights - Everyone

Vote:

I just made a test on testing access rights on a EPiserver Public site.

I turned off reading rights for Everyone on all menuitems one by one and found that
the login page occured during the procedure. This is okey.

What I find suspicious is that after turning on reading rights for everyone one by one,
the logon page didn't disappear. I checked all the menuitems (samplepages) to check
that Administrator had all rights and everyone had read access, but when trying
to view the frontpage, I got the login page.

Jan 27, 2011 14:41
Vote:

Then there must still be a page referenced that Everyone don't have access to.

Jan 27, 2011 15:54
Vote:

Well, I have checked all the pages on the "Set access rights" page and verified that all pages have full access rights and everyone has read access.

I first removed "news". This worked okey. "News" was removed from the menu. After removing "Events" and "Documents" (unchecking read for Everyone and check for "Add selected rows and delete unselected rows") I found that the login page appeared even though I did the same procedure for "News" first.

Jan 27, 2011 16:45
Vote:

Did you apply the "Apply for subpages" when you switched the access right back on? If there's a reference to a sub page without everyone - read, you will get the logon screen.

Jan 28, 2011 8:33
Vote:

Yes, actually I checked all pages that comes in the public installation and checked that all pages showed all rights for administrator and read for everyone.

Jan 28, 2011 8:36
Vote:

I did a new test today on my core public template site.
This is what I did:

- First I unchecked Everyone for the "News" menu and checked "

Jan 28, 2011 8:48
Vote:

Is this a default installation, or have you done some modifications? Eg. do you have a settings-section on a page that everyone does not have access to?

Jan 28, 2011 8:49
Vote:

The installation is a plain public site with no modifications.

Jan 28, 2011 8:50
Vote:

Is this a clean Public Templates install, or have you moved/edited some pages? Here's a short checklist if you get the login dialog:

1. You forgot to give the group "Everyone" read access to the web page.
  2. The web page has expired (Stop Publish date has passed).
  3. The web page has been deleted to the Recycle Bin (where Everyone/anonymous users don't have read access).
  4. The web page contains a link to (or is configured as a shortcut to) a page that has been deleted.
  5. The web page contains an image or document from the file archive where the anonymous user doesn't have read access.
Jan 28, 2011 8:51
Vote:

Go to admin mode, access rights, click on Examples and tell me what everyone looks like

Jan 28, 2011 8:53
Vote:

Examples - only administrator

Privacy - only administrator

File Explorer - only administrator

Login - only administrator

Registration - only administrator

Subscribe - only administrator

Demo - only administrator

Sitemap - only administrator

Search - only administrator

Contact - only administrator

Jan 28, 2011 8:58
Vote:

Hi Arild! :)

1. You forgot to give the group "Everyone" read access to the web page.

Everyone have access to "Start" and "RSS"

2.    The web page has expired (Stop Publish date has passed).

Well, the site was installed yesterday, I don't think any of the pages have expired yet, but I'll check.

3.    The web page has been deleted to the Recycle Bin (where Everyone/anonymous users don't have read access).

No pages have been deleted. It's a pure public installation.

4.     The web page contains a link to (or is configured as a shortcut to) a page that has been deleted.

I don't think this is included in a public site installation, but I'll check.

5.     The web page contains an image or document from the file archive where the anonymous user doesn't have read access.

Perhaps. I would guess that "Everyone" should have access to all that is present on the front page.

Actually when I turned of "News" and "Events" I thought that I should get the loginpage because the startpage/front page shows a list for both news and events, but when these pages are turned for for "Everyone" the lists disappear on the front page which is okey.

What I find strange is that loginpage appears after some menuitems have been turned of for everyone.
What I find even s t r a n g e r is that turning back read access for everyone on each menuitem doesn't show the frontpage.
I just reversed what I did and the loginpage still appears.
To make it work normal again I have to inherit all the rights from startpage ("" on startpage).

Jan 28, 2011 9:18
Vote:

The demopage under examples shows a shockwave/flash file, but security settings for this file in file explorer is disabled.
I'm therefore not sure if the problem is related to this file.

Jan 28, 2011 9:41
Vote:

Edited, Jan 28, 2011 9:42
Vote:

Same goes for Sample document.doc on the menuitem "Test doc" under "Documents" menuitem. Security settings is disabled.

Jan 28, 2011 9:44
Vote:

The startpage have references to: Privacy, Contact and Site map (Under site configuration)

If you remove access right on those pages, you will get the logon screen. Create a new page Example2 and move the three pages there, your front page appears without login again

Jan 28, 2011 11:30
Vote:

That helped a lot.

But I still don't understand why the frontpage didn't appear after reversing the access rights modifications.

What I mean is that I gave "Everyone" read access for all menuitems below startpage and checked for subpages and "Add selected rows and delete unselected rows" again, but the login screen was still showing.
Perhaps it was a caching problem.

Well - I think I'll leave it at that. Thanks for all contributions, and happy coding everyone! :)

Have a nice weekend!

Jan 28, 2011 11:49
Vote:

I still don't understand why login page appeared after applying access rights to "Everyone" again.

I verified that "Everyone" had access rights to all pages on the public installation, but the only thing that made the page appear at once,

was to inherit access rights from startpage.

Jan 31, 2011 11:36
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.