Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Upgrade from 6 R1 to 6 R2



I just tried to upgrade a site from CMS 6 R1 to R2 and got the following error.

I can see from the stack that it has to do with xforms, but are there known bugs regarding xforms

when upgrading from r1 to r2?


Executing database script "C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\CMS\6.1.379.0\Upgrade\Database\sql\0006_0000_0494_0000to0006_0000_0534_0000.sql"
Executing database script "C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\CMS\6.1.379.0\Upgrade\Database\sql\0006_0000_0535_0000to0006_0001_0233_0000.sql"
Executing database script "C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\CMS\6.1.379.0\Upgrade\Database\sql\0006_0000_0612_0000to0006_0000_0829_0000.sql"
Executing database script "C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\CMS\6.1.379.0\Upgrade\Database\sql\0006_0001_0234_0000to0006_0001_0236_0001.sql"
Executing database script "C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\CMS\6.1.379.0\Upgrade\Database\sql\0006_0001_0237_0000to0006_0001_0287_0000.sql"
Executing database script "C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\CMS\6.1.379.0\Upgrade\Database\sql\0006_0001_0288_0000to0006_0001_0316_0000.sql"
Entering commit phase
Started a transacted install
An error has occured and the transaction will be rolled back

An unhandled error has occured:
The device is not ready.

When executing

At C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\CMS\6.1.379.0\Upgrade\System Scripts\Upgrad
e XForm Names.ps1:36 char:22
+ Upgrade-EPiXFormNames <<<<  -SelectedSite $wizard.SelectedApplication


At C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\CMS\6.1.379.0\Upgrade\System Scripts\Upgrade XForm Names.ps1:36 char:22
+ Upgrade-EPiXFormNames <<<<  -SelectedSite $wizard.SelectedApplication
System.IO.IOException: The device is not ready.

   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, DirectorySecurity dirSecurity)
   at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.Create()
   at EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathUnifiedProvider.GetAndValidatePhysicalPathBase(String physicalPath)
   at EPiServer.Web.Hosting.Versioning.VersioningFileSystem.Init(NameValueCollection config)
   at EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathVersioningProvider..ctor(String name, NameValueCollection configParameters)   at EPiServer.Install.InstallationManager.Install(Installer installer)
   at EPiServerUpgrade.CMS6.XFormNameDecodeCmdlet.ProcessRecord()
   at System.Management.Automation.Cmdlet.DoProcessRecord()
   at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()



Sep 13, 2011 13:55
Sep 13, 2011 14:23

Hi I have the exact same problem anyone with a soultion on this?

Feb 21, 2012 14:07

My memory is very bad, but I think I ignored the problem. (I removed xforms related content) and recreated it on the upgraded site.

Feb 21, 2012 14:35

Ok, but is the installer done after this or is ther more that is missed out if i should ignore the problem?

Re running the installer results in the bar going to 100% and no message is presented.


Feb 21, 2012 15:04

Well, I'm not an expert on this area.

From what I can remember, xforms is that last thing that is beeing upgraded. I therefore think that you're not missing anything, but you should perhaps look on documentation to be sure.

Feb 21, 2012 15:29

The Xform upgrade is a task that runs after the actual installation/upgrade so if it fails the only thing that is affected is the xform data. In all other aspects the site is upgraded.

I found that if you want to update the xform data and encounter this issue, you might have better luck if you connect your database to a default/demo site.

So, create a copy of your database and connect the actual site to the copy. Run the upgrade and it fails on the xform data conversion but all files, configs etc in your site will be upgraded.

Install a demo site and point that site to your actual database (not the copy) and run the upgrade. Hopefully the xform data conversion succeeds.

Now you have a site and a database which are upgraded and have converted xform data. Connect the actual database back to the actual site and throw away the copy and the demo site.

Feb 21, 2012 15:33

Ok, the odd thing here is that the upgrade works fine in the test environment but not in the staging.

I think I just gonna look the other way on this one.


Feb 21, 2012 15:49
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.