Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Export Root Data

Vote:

We are trying to export all of our pages to move them from dev to production.

We have a root folder in dev and my assumption was that if I select this Root folder as the part of the structure to export in the Export Data page I could import that in our production environment.

What is happening when I then import on production is I end up with my Exported Root folder under the Root folder of the production installation. Is there a way to get around this?

Feb 20, 2012 17:59
Vote:

You could always move the pages to the "real" root page after the import, but I don't think you can alter it while exporting/importing,

Feb 20, 2012 18:05
Vote:

Thanks for the reply, thats what I was worried about as we aren't responsible for the production server so we can't move the files to the real import root. The only other way I suppose is to package up every page individually which isnt ideal but at least the structure would be intact

Feb 20, 2012 18:14
Vote:

Not sure if I'm following your thoughts here. The only files included in the export/import is VPP-files, and they shouldn't be affected by moving the pages to the real root. If you have access to import your package, then you should have enought access rights to move the imported pages to the real root as well.

Feb 20, 2012 18:20
Vote:

I'm checking the "Export Pages" box on the Export Data page, which I thought would export the Pages from the EPiServer DB?

The production environment isn't maintained by us, we are simply giving the exported EPiServer data to another company and they are then responsible for importing the importing side of it. 

Feb 20, 2012 18:25
Vote:

That's correct, you said "...  can't move the files to the .. ", that's why I got a bit confused. :)

Ok, then I follow you. Well.. if you feel like experimenting you could modify the export package. It's just a zip-file with xml-files, but I wouldn't recommend it.. :)

If you know that you need to export/import between environments then you usually have that in mind when setting up the structure in EPi, but it might be a little late for that now.

Feb 20, 2012 18:32
Vote:

Modifying the export package sounds dangerous! I guess we might go back and redesign the structure, it's not massive at this point so shouldn't be too bad.

Out of interest, I've just imported the package and all the pages are displaying the message "This page does not currently exist for the language "English"." when I'm in Edit mode, is there something I've missed on the import?

Feb 20, 2012 18:39
Vote:

I would guess that the dev and live environment has different language settings. Has nothing to do with exporting/importing.

Feb 20, 2012 18:47
Vote:

Yes your right, that was the case.

I've restructred the pages so there is now a PageType of RootPage which is nothing but a container for every other page in the site. This exports and imports under the Root Folder as expected. We've now ran into another issue, where when we import again the page structure is duplicate so we end up with

• RootFolder
  • RootPageTypeContainer
  • RootPageTypeContainer

Is there a way to override what it currently deployed?

Feb 21, 2012 12:42
Vote:

Nice. No, there is no way to override, you have to delete the old pages manually.

Feb 21, 2012 13:12
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.