Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

RC1: getting started and documentation

Vote:

We have several times tried to set up RC1, and it will not behave according to the documentation. Is it possible that someone at EPiServer explains somewhat more about the prerequisites for getting this up and running _according_ to the installation instructions and the Getting Started documentation? Its starting rather good with the installation routines which works kind of OK with one exception. The link in http://www.episerver.com/en/EPiServer_Knowledge_Center/Documentation/Release-Notes-CMS-Beta/SDK-Installation-Instructions/ to sdk.episerver.com is not available (at elast not for my user/password). Then I open the EPiServer documentation and tries to follow the Getting Started/Setting up a New EpiServer Site with Visual Studio. The chapter Creating Your Project is working ok (with the exception of no directory name docrepository in the solution explorer). The chapter Creating a Default Page must have been to hasty deployed since it does have to likewise pictures and one of the pictures has the comments goes on 'Select the EPiServer category ...". Yes I do manage to make a default.aspx-file anyway, and I follow the instructions further on do not register a PageType. This guide then follows up with "The markup for the page is not that interesting;". On the contrary this markup is so interesting that this documentation refers to a
tag not available in this newly created file. I will return to possible issue related to this. The next chapter Creating Roles and Users does also have some unmentioned premisses: The creation of Roles works fine. Creation of users does not work fine (and in addition there are maybe a wrong picture on the user creation part). To manage to create a correct role and user I have to change the provider (on the provider tab) and change this to SQL. This might not be necessary with another configuration of course. I manage to create the users at last and tries to open the site again as the chapter Viewing the results goes through. At step 1. it stops with a few fun errors: Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: The value for the property 'siteDisplayName' is not valid. The error is: The string must be either an empty string or any combination of alphanumericals, dots (.) and dashes (-) up to 256 characters long, e.g. 'site.com' or 'MySite-2'. Source Error: Line 143: uiUrl="http://localhost:6666/EPiServer5_0_240/ui/" Line 144: utilUrl="http://localhost:6666/EPiServer5_0_240/util/" Line 145: siteDisplayName="EPiServer5_0_240" Line 146: uploadDir="~/upload/" Line 147: pageFolderVirtualPathProvider="EPiServerPageVPP" Source File: C:\projects\EPI5CMSTest1\EPiServer5_0_240\web.config Line: 145 OK. this one is easy to get around. When trying again now I get the following: Server Error in '/EPiServer5_0_240' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parser Error Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately. Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'EPiServer5_0_240.@default'. Source Error: Line 1: <%@ page language="c#" inherits="EPiServer5_0_240.@default" codebehind="default.aspx.cs" masterpagefile="~/UI/MasterPages/EPiServerUI.Master" %> Line 2: Line 3: This is the start page. Source File: /EPiServer5_0_240/default.aspx Line: 1 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.210 I do manage to get a site up and running otherwise, but I would strongly suggest that the documentation are somewhat corrected, and maybe some other ways to get a site up and running are explained/documented. I strongly dislike this kind of documentation which actually are a waste of time both for me/us and for EPiServer, since no documentation at all would actually have worked better. By doing the install in the correct order and tweaking somewhat by hand it is possible to get a test site up and running for ex. by instaling it by the manager and then opening it by Visual Studio. On the other hand I have not been able to manage to compile it by following that routine. I restarted everything (removed episerver CMS 5 etc. which by the way is not totally removed by uninstalling it), and tried once more to follow the documentation. Same result, with exception that I have not tried to set up a site by using the manager and then open it with VS. Are there others who have had issues of the same type, or soeone who may explain the prerequisites somewhat more in detail than they so far have been documented?
May 07, 2007 11:31
Vote:

Hi and thank you for your feedback. Some documentation lagged behind and became obsolete due to changes in code. I am going through the guide and updating it and will post a revised version under the Release notes section for RC1. As soon as this is up I will notify you in this thread. Regarding links to the online SDK. There is an online version of the SDK today but we still have it locked away. We discovered that when loading the SDK documentation in a browser not on our network, the load times were not acceptable. The toc needs to be rebuilt to be generated dynamically and when this is done, we will open up the online SDK documentation site. / Daniel Tempel
May 08, 2007 10:10
Vote:

Thats kind of an ok answer so far ;-) Does it exist any guide/doc. on how to manage to get up a plain version otherwise than intended as in the incomplete doc?
May 08, 2007 10:45
Vote:

There is now an updated version of the Setting up a New Site... documentation. The following text has been added or altered: Added notes on adding a master page. Added notes on adding a license file to a project. Changed images. Added notes on how to make the right-click menu appear correctly. Changed the markup for the default.aspx to match the use of a master page. Added steps on how to set the correct providers in ASP.NET Configuration. The revised documentation supplied under the release notes is a work in progress, and will continue to be so until release, but it has been tested successfully by the support team. There may be exceptions and various combinations of configurations that does not work and we will address those when they appear. The revised documentation can be found on Knowledge Center under Documentation/EPiServer CMS 5 RC1 Revised Documentation/Setting Up a New EPiServer Site with Visual Studio. http://www.episerver.com/en/EPiServer_Knowledge_Center/Developer-Forum2/EPiServer-Developer-Forums-/EPiServer-CMS-version-5/11577/
May 09, 2007 15:50
Vote:

"I restarted everything (removed episerver CMS 5 etc. which by the way is not totally removed by uninstalling it), and tried once more to follow the documentation" Can you give me information about what was left behind after uninstalling? The only remaining modifications we expect, except from the files created when starting a new project and files related to that web site (temporary aspnet files, various caches internally handled by visual studio), are some internal visual studio and operating system files storing user activity. Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Fredrik Tjärnberg
May 10, 2007 16:31
Vote:

Im sorry, but I did not take very much notes at that point ;-) I do think that there where some parts which was not uninstallable (either by add/remove programs or by an uninstall.exe). I would think it would be very easy to recreate, since it would just take an install (in a "clean" environment for ex with Virtual PC), and then try to remove what you got installed and compare it with before.
May 22, 2007 10:26
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.